QVC Customer Care
Valued Contributor

@Pook wrote:

I am 63 and have gone with friends to events with seniors and have overheard the cackling, snickering and awful remarks made by many who criticize anyone who likes to take care of themselves and look their best.  I hear more criticism of those of us who enjoy looking their best with makeup, skincare, etc than I ever have about those who don't.  What does that say? 

Pook, forgive me for altering your post; I wanted to call attention to your very telling observation.

In this much, Taylor Swift was correct - people throw rocks at things that shine.

"Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." J.R.R. Tolkien
Honored Contributor

@sharlee wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I am 63 and have gone with friends to events with seniors and have overheard the cackling, snickering and awful remarks made by many who criticize anyone who likes to take care of themselves and look their best.  I hear more criticism of those of us who enjoy looking their best with makeup, skincare, etc than I ever have about those who don't.  What does that say? 

Pook, forgive me for altering your post; I wanted to call attention to your very telling observation.

In this much, Taylor Swift was correct - people throw rocks at things that shine.

I frequently wonder who raised the posters here. While my Mother did raise us to try to look clean and decent and be  as attractive as possible within reason - she also taught us that  excessive vanity is a sin and you need to know where the line is between what is a what is not acceptable. Just like in everything else in life.

Esteemed Contributor

Shallow and vain because you took care of yourself all your life.  

Not only the outside but your health as well.  Who's throwing rocks here?  Seems like I hit some nerves.  Don't be mad at others be mad at yourselves. 

So I guess everyone that posts here searching for the right  lotions and potions are shallow as well.  Everyone is entitled to do whatever they please but don't spend your life complaining about it and criticizing others.  It's not very attractive.

Honored Contributor

@ANewHue wrote:

Shallow and vain because you took care of yourself all your life.  

Not only the outside but your health as well.  Who's throwing rocks here?  Seems like I hit some nerves.  Don't be mad at others be mad at yourselves. 

So I guess everyone that posts here searching for the right  lotions and potions are shallow as well.  Everyone is entitled to do whatever they please but don't spend your life complaining about it and criticizing others.  It's not very attractive.

Indeed.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Why do women do this

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@sharlee wrote:

@Pook wrote:

I frequently wonder who raised the posters here. While my Mother did raise us to try to look clean and decent and be  as attractive as possible within reason - she also taught us that  excessive vanity is a sin and you need to know where the line is between what is a what is not acceptable. Just like in everything else in life.

You're unfortunately but not surprisingly twisting this thread into something that it isn't and therefore just playing into the hands of those you are criticizing.

This topic really doesn't have to with excessive vanity or sin in any way but how we look at others and how we judge them.

As an aside, I find it very hard to believe that there is anyone, no less a multitude of people ( seniors or otherwise), who criticize a person "who likes to take of themselves and look their best."  Strawman, IMO.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I know so many women who move to Florida for the gorgeous weather -- then won't go out side because the sun will age them. Seriously?

I live in Florida now.  We do go outside.  But I rarely (really never) see anyone "laying out" in the sun.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

Not wearing makeup is not letting yourself go. It's being true to yourself. We don't need to be complimented to be happy with ourselves.

Personally, I only wear a tinted moisturizer and maybe some foundation on a daily basis.  I will only use blush and mascara for very special occations.  Rarer still would be eyeshadow -- even in my younger days I did not like to wear it.  And lipstick -- just kind of gross.  You either end up eating it or getting it all over your mugs and water bottles.  Lipstick that does not come off does not appeal to me either.

My two cents 

1.  Men don't wear makeup.  (at least the kind of men I would be interested in).  Why do women feel they have to?  Women can still look their best without a face full of goo.

2.  A full made up face, like some of the QVC hosts, looks goth, gross, and just plain disturbing to me.  I would never want to wear so much makeup that others would not recognize me if I did not have it on.  A clean, natural face looks best in my opinion.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

I know I do less makeup and hair wise now that I am older  but its mostly due to lack of time. But I do use  at least foundaton, blush and lipgloss. I once spent hours  curling my hair now I can not pass that look and just go in a pony tail