Esteemed Contributor
I have straight, fairly fine shoulder length hair. Over the past few months I have been getting split ends that extend up the shaft to about the bottom of my ear. I have always had healthy hair that has never been colored or permed. I most often let it dry naturally or blow dry. I wash my hair every other day. However, I was given the Perfector styling brush for Christmas and have been using it on the lowest setting a couple times a week. I get it trimmed every six to eight weeks. I use Wen Tea Tree and the oils Could it be the Perfector that caused the damage? I have stopped using it. If it isn't this, what happened? I have cut my hair a bit shorter, but can't cut it much shorter to get rid of the splits. I am nervous that the splits will grow even further up my hair.
Honored Contributor

Re: Why am I getting spli ends?

I have fine hair and use the Perfecter pretty often and no split ends; my stylist did tell me using an old hairbrush can cause them and using elastic bands to pull up your hair can as well.
Occasional Contributor

Since you had previously not used a heat styler, it most like is the Perfector. The heat, combined with the repeated curling motion could definitely cause split ends, and sadly once you have them, they are there to stay until your hair grows out and/or is cut. In order to minimize damage, a good deep conditioner should be a part of your routine, and avoid heat styling. Perhaps try a heat protectant when using the Perfector or blow drying, etc.

Also-Avoid carrying your purse on one side repeatedly- this can cause breakage, invest in good hair ties (not elastics with metal or bands).

Respected Contributor

Wen gives me split ends

organix coconut serum for split ends works really good also try using a deeper conditioner. pantene has a splint end fix creme that works miracles but i think they discontinued it