Frequent Contributor

Re: Whoa!! I want the new BE Serum Foundation! Anybody with me?

On 2/21/2014 lianne said: Not tempted at all, I don't believe it has any coverage, none of those models looked good in it.

I agree with you. Their faces were shiny and I didn't see much coverage at all even when she kept applying it.

Usually the models look great with foundations but this did not; not at all. The colors didn't even look good.

Both Leslie and Lisa's faces didn't look good either. I think they were just there to promote the product; they seemed hesitant about it also. Leslie kept looking at Lisa when she was talking.

Not interested at all. I will stick to my Mally powder foundation in the round pink compact

Regular Contributor

On 2/22/2014 MargieRJ said:

I understand what Leslie was saying about liquid foundations. The type that was available when BE started were heavy, masklike and filled with all sorts of ingredients that may clog pores, cause irritation, etc. So, her original remarks about never offering a liquid foundation made sense at the time.

Technology has changed now. This new liquid foundation appears to be free of all the ingredients Leslie hated before. So, it's not a "liquid foundation" like the old style ones. It's a mineral foundation delivered in a serum (liquid) form without the emulsifiers ordinary liquids have.

That's exactly how I take it and why I decided to give it a try.

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2014 HappyDaze said:

Maren, weren't you one of the people that was interested in going cruelty-free? Perhaps I have you confused with someone else but I thought you were in our discussions about cruelty free brands. If it wasn't you, I apologize but if it was you, I just wanted to tell you that BE is owned by Shiseido, a company that is still big on animal testing. I believe Prescriptives is owned by Estee Lauder which still tests as well. Just wanted to let you know in case you were trying to avoid companies that are not cruelty free. Smile

Thanks, HD! There are SO MANY companies that are cruelty-free these days, why oh why do some (a lot!) of companies still do this? They will both get a communication from me about why I am not using their products (although Prescriptives beat me to the punch {#emotions_dlg.laugh})

I confess, though, if there was an HG product from one of these companies and I really couldn't find something comparable, I might use that product. But only that one! I'm thinking if I could still get the Prescriptives AnyWear stick, I probably would. Not proud of the fact, but there you have it. Full Disclosure. Smile

ETA: I just learned last night about Shiseido acquiring BE (never paid that much attention to BE). Did NOT know it's big on animal testing. So, there goes one of my favorite sunscreens. This I can let go, because although it's been my HG for years, I've found one I like ALMOST as well w/NO animal testing and much better ingredients (except that darn dimethicone rears its ugly head again). Keep on me!!!!!

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 2/22/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Yes, I saw the video that's been up on the item page regarding application, and then I watched the video of the presentation, too.

I wonder whether that brush is more a gimmick than anything else -- the well and also the need for buffing. I'm sort of weird when it comes to using brushes for "wet" stuff like foundation. I'm not even crazy about using my IT concealer brush with BBUE.

It may very well be a gimmick.

I felt the same way about brushes for wet products until I recently tried a stippling brush for cream blush. The end result was a huge difference so now I am rethinking my stance.

Why do so many of my posts begin with "years ago"? But anyway, years ago when Calvin Klein had a makeup line (anybody remember that?) they were showing me the foundation (liquid) and the foundation brush. The what? I thought the very idea of it was CRAZY. Now I use my skunk brush(es) for just about everything. Actually -- everything.

Super Contributor

I purchased the UD Good Karma brush for my BB creams and it makes a world of difference in application.

So, I like the concept of this foundation but I am afraid it might be too heavy because I am use to BB creams and tinted moisturizers. I will wait to try it in person because I also have a problem with shade matching when it comes to their compact shades.

Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

<br class="quote_author" />

Question: I wonder whether the brush is essential for application. I know they keep saying that you buff it on with the brush, but since it is not liquid, do you think you could just use your fingers?

If so, I would then wait until May.

Yep, me too. I can have an issue with silicones so this grabbed me.

The brush was interesting. Not sure if you saw it but it was a regular brush with the middle cut out, sort of. I guess to create a well. She mentioned (during the very little bit of actual good information) that you only need a few drops of the product so I'm not sure a brush with a well is really necessary. I think a regular buffing type of brush or fingers would be just fine.

Yes, I saw the video that's been up on the item page regarding application, and then I watched the video of the presentation, too.

I wonder whether that brush is more a gimmick than anything else -- the well and also the need for buffing. I'm sort of weird when it comes to using brushes for "wet" stuff like foundation. I'm not even crazy about using my IT concealer brush with BBUE.

I dabbled in brush technique a long time ago in my "artistic period." I really appreciate brushes and the work they can do! But I was wondering the same about that brush, whether or not you really had to buff it into the skin (why would you)? I guess they're thinking for a more even application, possibly filling any nooks & crannies w/ the serum. And the same would apply for the original BE mineral foundation.

But why wouldn't a foundation brush be just as useful?

I suppose, the foundation brush for placement application; the other type brush for all over the face application.

In any event, I used to brush on my finishing powder, (with the good old BE foundation brush) but then discovered the puff! I'll never go back to the brush! However, my least favorite way of applying any makeup on the skin is with fingers. Brushes (and puffs) do give a much nicer finish.

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2014 corita said:
On 2/21/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 2/21/2014 glmama said: Hi Maren--I'm watching the presentation now. And I'm intrigued. Foundation is one of my "problem" areas. I'm always looking for the perfect base product. However, I'm not a fan of liquid foundation (yes, I know she's talking to me!). So I'll keep watching!

I've pretty much given up on the "doesn't look like makeup" line -- after all, I'm wearing makeup! But maybe this will be closer to what I'm fantasizing about. Or not. :-) I'll have to wait (and wait!) to see. I've only found one foundation that literally made me gasp in delight when I looked in the mirror -- but it was Prescriptives (R.I.P.) and is no longer available. The search continues!

Maren - my DD also loves and wears Prescriptives. She is able to get it by ordering online from their website!

Unfortunately, this particular foundation is not one of the items they still offer. (Story of my life!) I'm so happy for those that are still able to get their favorites, though! Smile

Honored Contributor

On 2/24/2014 Harpa said:
<br class="quote_author" />

Question: I wonder whether the brush is essential for application. I know they keep saying that you buff it on with the brush, but since it is not liquid, do you think you could just use your fingers?

If so, I would then wait until May.

Yep, me too. I can have an issue with silicones so this grabbed me.

The brush was interesting. Not sure if you saw it but it was a regular brush with the middle cut out, sort of. I guess to create a well. She mentioned (during the very little bit of actual good information) that you only need a few drops of the product so I'm not sure a brush with a well is really necessary. I think a regular buffing type of brush or fingers would be just fine.

I dabbled in brush technique a long time ago in my "artistic period." I really appreciate brushes and the work they can do! But I was wondering the same about that brush, whether or not you really had to buff it into the skin (why would you)? I guess they're thinking for a more even application, possibly filling any nooks & crannies w/ the serum. And the same would apply for the original BE mineral foundation.

But why wouldn't a foundation brush be just as useful?

I suppose, the foundation brush for placement application; the other type brush for all over the face application.

In any event, I used to brush on my finishing powder, (with the good old BE foundation brush) but then discovered the puff! I'll never go back to the brush! However, my least favorite way of applying any makeup on the skin is with fingers. Brushes (and puffs) do give a much nicer finish.

I guess it boils down to whether buffing is really necessary for this liquid foundation. If so, the brush you picture here might not be work. It would seem that you would need a squared-off top (sorry, they probably have a name). I have an old BE Heavenly Face brush that is like that.

I think the only difference with the brush they're showing is that well in the middle, the idea being that it deposits the "serum" and the outside bristles buff it in.

It might be a moot point for me because I do prefer using my fingers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Frequent Contributor

I thought this was advanced orders for April 8th? Mine shipped yesterday.

Respected Contributor

On 2/25/2014 SouthrnGirl said:

I thought this was advanced orders for April 8th? Mine shipped yesterday.

Really? That is very surprising to me. Tracking number and all?