Respected Contributor

Re: Where Have I Been--Baby Powder!!!!!

My daughter is 31 and I was told not to use baby powder on her and her daughter's doc said the same thing for her baby.
Frequent Contributor

On 1/23/2014 Shelbelle said:

Very old news. Use baby powder made from 100% Cornstarch, no talc. Safe for use on panties, pantiliners, etc

Sorry, you are incorrect on this, Shel..

Its been proven that cornstarch is the number one cause of uti's. Natracare "Natural" Sanitary pads, were suppose to be safe frpm bleach and such,however they neglected to say, they use cornstarch. I ordered them, used them for a month before problems started. I am now seeing my 6th doctor since this all started. Don't trust any of these companies that claim to be all natural.....

Honored Contributor

I didn't know about this either but my mom never used baby powder on us and didn't want us using it. I never really knew why, just grew up not even considering it. Interesting and good to know.

Rachelle, are these scented ones or? Do they list cornstarch on their packaging anywhere? I am don't use pads but I do use the seventh generation organic other product so I am hoping they are okay.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2014 barryfan said:

I always thought baby powder was a safe item to use. Now I'm hearing that it contains asbestos. What in the heck?

From cassiem's link to cancer.org:

In its natural form, some talc may contain asbestos, a substance known to cause cancers in and around the lungs when inhaled (see our document, Asbestos). All home-use talcum products in the United States have been asbestos-free since the 1970s.

According to the cancer.org link, the jury is out as to whether current asbestos-free talcum powder carries a risk of causing ovarian or uterine cancer.

Daysdee, any possible risks are only with the use of talcum powder by women who apply it in some way to the genital area, not to the talc in cosmetics such as eye shadows or face powder.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

On 1/23/2014 stampingpaperdoll said:

You must have been living under the same rock as I have-I did not know this either.

Didn't know this either. How many more of the uninformed are living under this rock?

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 1/23/2014 barryfan said:

I always thought baby powder was a safe item to use. Now I'm hearing that it contains asbestos. What in the heck?

From cassiem's link to cancer.org:

In its natural form, some talc may contain asbestos, a substance known to cause cancers in and around the lungs when inhaled (see our document, Asbestos). All home-use talcum products in the United States have been asbestos-free since the 1970s.

According to the cancer.org link, the jury is out as to whether current asbestos-free talcum powder carries a risk of causing ovarian or uterine cancer.

Daysdee, any possible risks are only with the use of talcum powder by women who apply it in some way to the genital area, not to the talc in cosmetics such as eye shadows or face powder.

thanks for the information, Suzy

Contributor

Happened to my mom in the eighties and she died 2 years after diagnosis. Her oncologist felt the daily use for years with the baby powder really contributed to her ovarian cancer. Lucy for me it wasn't' something I ever did.
Trusted Contributor

Some baby powders contain talc, which is the substance that some have associated with an increase in ovarian cancer risk. Many baby powders are cornstarch based and perfectly safe. Look for a cornstarch baby powder if you are concerned about this. I have seen no convincing reports linking corn starch powders with UTI's or yeast infections. Some people are sensitive to the fragrance in any type of scented powder and can develop skin irritations from its use.

Honored Contributor

I'm 67 years old. My 3 daughters (adults) grew up just fine. Sometimes I wonder what has happened in this world.

Good grief. I know some changes have been good but you watch it won't be long before we will be told to put the babies on their stomachs again.

I did learn some interesting things from my daughters when they had their babies. Some of it is just 'turn around and it will change'.

My guess is that there are ladies here around my age that feel like I do about some things. Again, not all changes are silly but some don't make sense.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2014 annabellethecat said:

I'm 67 years old. My 3 daughters (adults) grew up just fine. Sometimes I wonder what has happened in this world.

Good grief. I know some changes have been good but you watch it won't be long before we will be told to put the babies on their stomachs again.

I did learn some interesting things from my daughters when they had their babies. Some of it is just 'turn around and it will change'.

My guess is that there are ladies here around my age that feel like I do about some things. Again, not all changes are silly but some don't make sense.

We learn and we change our ways.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland