Honored Contributor

Re: Where Does Sunscreen Go In Your Skincare Routine

I have used sunscreen right after cleansing for years. I don't use a lot, usually just primer and foundation on top. My dermatologist told me that should always be my first step, so I do it her way! I use Paula's Choice. Wink

Honored Contributor

On 8/13/2014 Lanikins said:

I think you have it right -- at least that's what I do, too. I can't imagine they mean you put sunscreen OVER your foundation as that would be a big mess. I do have a powder sunscreen that I brush over everything last if I want extra protection.

This was an article about layering skincare products, I'm sure she didn't mean after foundation.MarenSeattle I'm not very brand loyal! I've used Neutrogena, Clinique, SSC, and have a Dr. Denese that I haven't used yet.

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 jordan2 said:
On 8/13/2014 Lanikins said:

I think you have it right -- at least that's what I do, too. I can't imagine they mean you put sunscreen OVER your foundation as that would be a big mess. I do have a powder sunscreen that I brush over everything last if I want extra protection.

This was an article about layering skincare products, I'm sure she didn't mean after foundation.MarenSeattle I'm not very brand loyal! I've used Neutrogena, Clinique, SSC, and have a Dr. Denese that I haven't used yet.

I didn't see that -- you're right, and I should have been more clear I guess. I always consider sunscreen as part of the "prep" BEFORE makeup. Thanks for clarifying! :-)

Honored Contributor

Moisturizer, then sunscreen.

Then makeup (but no primer or foundation), if I'm using any that day.

Super Contributor

#3- Cleanse, serum, sunscreen, primer, concealer/foundation. I don't wear makeup everyday but do cleanse, serum, sunscreen daily.
Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 colliegirls said:

I don't use sunscreen as part of my every day routine, only when I am at the beach or going to the pool. Then I only put sun screen over my concealer, with my eye make up and lipstick.

I only use it when I am going to be out in the sun for 30 minutes or more. Just walking into my work in the morning and out to my car in the evening doesn't warrant using sunscreen on my face on a daily basis.

Super Contributor

On 8/13/2014 magemay said:
On 8/13/2014 MarenSeattle said:
On 8/13/2014 MandySays said:
On 8/13/2014 MarenSeattle said:

It depends on whether yours is chemical or physical.

CHEMICAL sunscreens go on FIRST because they need to be ABSORBED into the skin.

PHYSICAL sunscreens go on LAST because they work as a BARRIER.

What sunscreen are you using?

This makes me even happier I chose a physical sunscreen.

magemay and Mandy: Happy to hear that -- I'm WAY biased toward physical. Another plus is that with chemical, the longer you wear it, the more it dissipates in your system, so loses efficacy more quickly than a physical (unless we sweat, wipe or wash it off).

Me too Maren and I agree!

With that being said, I'm really content with my Devita and so happy (as is my skin) that it plays well with it's new companion, ASDM. Top them off with a dusting of Mineral Veil original spf and now giving Mineral Fusion SPF 30 brush on a test run. So far so good.

The Mineral Fusion is a nice formula, the only beef I have is with the applicator. The brush could be more dense and you can't really see how much your applying. I want to see if I can crack open the case and transfer it into a sifter jar. That would make it easier for me to use. The color seems to be fairly neutral so no problems there. Smiley Happy

I'm new to Devita and like it overall, but find it can ball up. I'm sure it's because I can be heavy handed (especially with sunscreen) and I have serums and a moisturizer on under it. I'm tweaking my application technique, because I really want it to work for me. :-)

And I've gone back to the original BE foundation -- just lightly with a large powder brush to kind of set it and give a nice finish (not as my foundation as I used to do).

Sounds like you have a winning combo -- so happy it's working for you!!

Super Contributor

NEVER EVER GO WITHOUT SUNSCREEN! Rain or shine! Every day. You won't need tons of foundation and concealers if you have good skin. I use a tinted sunscreen: MD Solar Science mineral gel. If I need to cover up something, I use IT concealer. 30 SPF. On my arms I use Neutregena 55 SPF. Since I live in So. FL I need to cover up as much as I could. At 72 my skin looks pretty good. I do get peels and laser treatments at my PS office. My order in the morning: cleanse, eye cream, sunscreen, and concealer if I need it.

In the evening: cleanse with my Clarisonic, serum, moisturizer, heavier eye cream from the am routine.

2x monthly I rollerderm in the pm