Honored Contributor

Re: When Your Face is Irritated and Red, What Do You Use?

@Nightowlz wrote:

I use hypochlorous acid spray. It reduces redness & inflammation. 

I don't have eczema or psoriasis but still works for me.

I bought it too spray on my eyelids when the glands in my eyelids get clogged. It's the same ingredient in the OcuSoft eyelid cleansing pads. 

Found out it is good for all kinds of stuff. Smells like bleach?

Allure has an article if you want to read about it. Just search hypochlorous acid and allure.

Hypochlorous acid combats redness and inflammation associated with skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It calms puffy or angry skin and gently cleanses to prevent future flare-ups. "It's also really good to help reduce itching," says Dr. DeRosa, so you won't be tempted to scratch your skin and spread the infection

@Nightowlz Well, I tried one of the eye wash pads on my face last night and it did help.  So I ordered the spray to try!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Got that and a couple other recommendations from this post.

Our posters are so happy to help others!  I am thankful for all of you!  

Valued Contributor

Just this morning, after using two products I shouldn't have used right after each other, lol, my face was hot and angry!  All I had that was Clean Beauty was Beekman 1802 Pot of Gold body cream.  I put it on my face and immediately, my face was calmed down.

Honored Contributor

I found this informative chart. Shows some good info.

Damaged skin barrier.png

Honored Contributor

@cheriere wrote:

@Sooner    I really like that First Aid Beauty moisturizer QVC sells.  It always calms my skin down, even when very irritated.  It's not greasy either.

@cheriere  Same here. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have very sensitive skin and have found that DERMA products such as DERMAdoctor work well for me, and are available at Walgreens, CVS, etc. They have colloidal oatmeal and their products are good for dermatitis to get rid of the redness. Stay away from fragranced products on your face. If you're just looking for a gentle moisturizer, Clinique's daily moisturizer (pale yellow one) is so gentle and soothing. Also good is Clinique's moisture surge (pink gel). It's soothing as well.

Maybe you know what caused the flare-up....if not, it's most likely a product with fragrance or something else that is causing an allergy, or you are overdoing something that is harsh on your skin such as too frequent deep cleansing masks or brushes that are over-cleansing.

I know some ladies here are into double and triple cleansing at a time, but think how irritating that must be for your skin, especially if it's sensitive to begin with.

Frequent Contributor

@Shanus which specific Cetaphil moisturizer do you use? Thank you! 😊
Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

When I had gotten a little too aggressive in exfoliating, @SilleeMee recommended jojoba butter.  It's thick and occlusive, but it soothed and repaired my skin in short order - just a day or two. .  

IMG_2126.jpeg

@JeanLouiseFinch Thanks!  I have the oil.  Might mix some with a mild moisturizer and do a test on part of my face!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee Great chart!  I'm guessing being old, hot showers, poor sleep, maybe washing too much (or using a washcloth which I probably should never do--stick with baby washcloths), getting a fragrance on my face maybe, and using a product that over time caused issues.  Nothing really new--but that happen!

Thanks for posting this!

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz   I just ordered it also.  Some great reviews.  I have a slight rash occasionally on my chest, so I'm trying this.  Thank you!  Always something to fill out my Amazon order.  I don't buy enough to justify prime, FOR ME, so I get my orders to $35 for free shipping.  

Honored Contributor

Sometimes all you really need to do is just stop what you are doing and things seems to take care of themselves on their own. No need to add new products unless it's absolutely necessary and many times it isn't.  Woman Happy@Sooner