Occasional Contributor

Re: What would you prefer...Ole's Truth Serum, or Mad Hippie ??

On 1/7/2014 Dublingrl said:

I like Ole Henrickson's Truth Serum and use it every morning, it is one of the products that I re-purchase, but I buy it once a year when Sephora has it's sale.

I have not tried the Mad Hippie brand, I understand the reviews are good, but I like what I'm using.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I use truth serum and it works and I love it.

Respected Contributor

On 1/7/2014 Dazlin said:

Anyone else say Ole is sticky?? Hate that! I used Devita a while back, and it burned. So, that's why, I'll stick to either Mad Hippie, or Ole.

Anyone else tried these two??

I tried OH and felt it left a sticky residue on my skin.

I can't speak to Mad Hippie, I've never used it.

Trusted Contributor

ISOMERS Vitamin C Serum Map + E For Face - 1 oz # 300-056
ShopHQ Price: $39.00

INGREDIENTS: Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP=Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate a precursor to Vitamin C and Vitamin E phosphate in a flax seed base. ), Disodium Lauriminodipropionate Tocopheryl Phosphates (Vitamin E Phosphates), Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone.

• MAP Benefits appears to strengthen collagen strands, making them more resilient.
  • MAP helps fight free radical damage and has a protective effect on cutaneous (skin) damage.
  • More easily absorbed into the skin cell than ascorbic acid. Not acidic and more stable.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/7/2014 sundrops said:

I have both the Truth serum and the Mad hippie serum. I started using Ole's serum about 2 years ago when it came in a Beauty test tube. Just over a month ago, I bought the Mad hippie from Amazon on the rec from JLF because I wanted a Vitamin C serum that also had ferulic acid in it. I do believe that the Mad Hippie is causing slight breakouts. So, not to waste it, I'm using it about 3 days in a row and then I'll use Ole's once and follow this pattern. I may try NCN next and see how that goes. I've had no problems with the Truth Serum--just wish it had ferulic acid in it too.

SkinActives sells Ferulic acid so you could add it to the Truth serum. SkinActives also sells a Vitamin C serum that's 20% and costs about $15. I've purchased it twice and may go back to it once I've finished using the C serum I'm currently using.

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 UMTerpFan said:
On 1/7/2014 sundrops said:

I have both the Truth serum and the Mad hippie serum. I started using Ole's serum about 2 years ago when it came in a Beauty test tube. Just over a month ago, I bought the Mad hippie from Amazon on the rec from JLF because I wanted a Vitamin C serum that also had ferulic acid in it. I do believe that the Mad Hippie is causing slight breakouts. So, not to waste it, I'm using it about 3 days in a row and then I'll use Ole's once and follow this pattern. I may try NCN next and see how that goes. I've had no problems with the Truth Serum--just wish it had ferulic acid in it too.

SkinActives sells Ferulic acid so you could add it to the Truth serum. SkinActives also sells a Vitamin C serum that's 20% and costs about $15. I've purchased it twice and may go back to it once I've finished using the C serum I'm currently using.

Do you know what the pH is of the skinactives vitamin C serum? if the pH is too high, it doesn't even matter what the % is. If you have the name of the serum you can provide I can look up the pH myself. Thanks!

Contributor

Don't know about Mad Hippie, but Ole's product is in a clear container. There's no way the vitamin C stays stabilized. You're wasting your money with Ole.
Valued Contributor

On 1/7/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 1/7/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 1/7/2014 Harpa said:

I looked these both up once before...I think both of them have too many things in.

What percent of C is in the Mad Hippie? I think the Truth is something like 10%.

pH of the product is also important, along with %. If the pH isn't ideal, the % doesn't really matter as much since it won't be as effective and will degrade quicker, regardless of what form of vitamin C it is.

Exactly. OP, you might want to expand your Vit C search. If I had to choose between these two it would def be Mad Hippie. If I could choose beyond that it would be NCN which I currently use or NuFountain which I have previously used.

Hi BellaCarro...please tell me why you would go with NCN or NuFountain. I currently use MadHippie and like it....but am always looking for something that might be better. I love that MH has Hyaluronic acid and Ferulic Acid as well as the 20% C.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 ednapsych said:
On 1/7/2014 BellaCarro said:
On 1/7/2014 HappyDaze said:
On 1/7/2014 Harpa said:

I looked these both up once before...I think both of them have too many things in.

What percent of C is in the Mad Hippie? I think the Truth is something like 10%.

pH of the product is also important, along with %. If the pH isn't ideal, the % doesn't really matter as much since it won't be as effective and will degrade quicker, regardless of what form of vitamin C it is.

Exactly. OP, you might want to expand your Vit C search. If I had to choose between these two it would def be Mad Hippie. If I could choose beyond that it would be NCN which I currently use or NuFountain which I have previously used.

Hi BellaCarro...please tell me why you would go with NCN or NuFountain. I currently use MadHippie and like it....but am always looking for something that might be better. I love that MH has Hyaluronic acid and Ferulic Acid as well as the 20% C.

Not Bella (obviously) but one thing about Madhippie vitamin C serum is that the pH of the product is 6.5-7.5. Ideally the pH, for maximum efficacy should be closer to less than pH 5 according to the majority of studies I've read in the past. Just an FYI, Mad Hippie is not 20% vitamin C but 10% (see Jean's post, #6).

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2014 Nickel05 said: Don't know about Mad Hippie, but Ole's product is in a clear container. There's no way the vitamin C stays stabilized. You're wasting your money with Ole.

This is actually a really good point, clear containers are not ideal for vitamin C products, nor is droppers. Any time a vitamin C product comes in contact with air and light, it affects its' efficacy. Dark bottles and airtight pumps or tubes are the most ideal delivery system to maintain efficacy and freshness.

Trusted Contributor

I haven't tried Mad Hippie yet but I do like their lotion.

I've been using 100% Pure serum for about a month. I like it so far. Sinks right in and isn't sticky. I tried Avalon before that and it always left my skin tacky.