Regular Contributor

What is the strategy behind duplicating brands on HSN & QVC?

I really don’t get it! Isn’t HSN just redundant at this point? And why does a brand like Tweak’d seem so much more appealing when it’s on the Q? Maybe I just answered my own question🤔

Respected Contributor

Re: What is the strategy behind duplicating brands on HSN & QVC?

@Mysticmom wrote:

I really don’t get it! Isn’t HSN just redundant at this point? And why does a brand like Tweak’d seem so much more appealing when it’s on the Q? Maybe I just answered my own question🤔

That is funny, I thought the same thing about Tweak'd!!  I think Q has better studios and better lighting.  Makes everything and everyone look better and more appealling.

Honored Contributor

I've been wondering this for months now.

I still predict they are going to merge the 2 networks into 1.  Maybe they will do what Evine is doing with the LA studio and broadcast sometimes from Florida and sometimes from PA.  

Super Contributor

Funny you should bring this up because I was thinking the exact thing.  It seems like brand overkill.  Waiting for Josie Maran to show up on HSN next

Honored Contributor

I am not interested in seeing the same products on both networks, it makes me feel like I am watching a TV rerun, one or the other ,  I agree, they will endup merging into one network. 

Regular Contributor

@erica g, And that’s exactly what I was thinking! If Josie shows up on HSN, that will be the end 😂
Respected Contributor

I have over the air TV & only had the Q, HSN was added last year...not everyone has both channels or shops both. Crossovers aren't a big deal because most items sold except for their in-house brands can be purchased everywhere...very little on shopping channels is exclusive. I get a kick out of people who think buying from the Q instead of HSN is a step up, high brow...it's too funny. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is to increase exposure to a larger audience.

Not everyone watches both channels, even if they receive both.

And a very small number of total customers buy from both, for whatever reason.

From a November 2018 Qurate presentation to investors (for fiscal 2017)

QVC Only Shoppers: 6.2 million

HSN Only Shoppers:  2.8 million

Customers Shopping at Both:  1.9 million

Valued Contributor

...maybe for people like me that only watch the Q. Kind of like watching your fave local news, or national news shows - you have your favorite network and become loyal to that.

Honored Contributor

Also, credit cards.  The Q card only works at QVC (and Zulily now, I think).  I don’t know if HSN has a dedicated card.

And I, for one, don’t want to open another account at another shopping channel.  Up until recently, I only got one or the other of the two channels.  So, I never got in the habit of shopping at both, or Evine either.  There have only been a couple of products that I have been interested in from HSN, but never enough to open an account to buy them.  If they came to QVC, I might.

I’m sure that Qurate’s (QVC’s) marketing strategy will continue to evolve.  None of the retailers can stay static anymore.  If crossover doesn’t bring in enough money, they’ll switch to something else.