Super Contributor

Re: What are people doing about their grey hair

L'Oreal has a spray root cover up & a box that has 2 bottles you combine & brush onto dry hair, let it set for 10-15 minutes, then shampoo. My experience with spray root cover-up, they feel like a plastic shower cap is on your head. Horrible feeling. Not tried L'Oreals, but probably same as others.

L'Oréal Paris Root Rescue Permanent Hair Color - Light Brown 6

Contributor

www.colorwowhair.com  video of application & one of Allures best beauty products. Got at my salon but sold at amazon .Just do search on internet,available at several places

Honored Contributor

@roster wrote:

L'Oreal has a spray root cover up & a box that has 2 bottles you combine & brush onto dry hair, let it set for 10-15 minutes, then shampoo. My experience with spray root cover-up, they feel like a plastic shower cap is on your head. Horrible feeling. Not tried L'Oreals, but probably same as others.

L'Oréal Paris Root Rescue Permanent Hair Color - Light Brown 6

I have never had the spray feel like a plastic shower cap.  I mainly only spray it on the part lines and the swirlies on the back of my head.  I don't even notice it is there.  I use the L'Oreal Magic Root Touch Up spray.

Honored Contributor

Nothing.  I'm staying indoors so that nobody will see me until my hair appointment at 8:30am, Saturday, May 2nd.  I refuse to color my own hair.  There are certain things in life I leave up to the professionals.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

one thing i don't have to stress about....i've been salt & pepper for years...but i need a haircut desperately.....just today my daughter said she bought a box of hair dye.....she usually has her coloring done at a salon.....

Respected Contributor

Nothing. I'm out everyday & no one + me cares about my grey roots. 

Respected Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@Mitchell I was scared a few years ago to apply color to my roots to alleviate the month(s) inbetween salon visits and try to save some money.  I talked to my niece who told me she uses a touch up with no problem and has been for several years inbetween appointments  I tried her recommendation, Clariol Root Touch Up and have been  using it inbetween appointments for the last two years.  Havn't had a problem.  If you just need root touchup you may want to try this  It lasts for about 3 to 3 12 weeks.  I have also used Joan Rivers touch up powder that is sold on qvc for roots.  It works pretty good. There are also sprays for roots which I confess I have not used.

I also use Clariol Root Touch Up.  I go to the salon every 3 months to have my hair double processed - whole head colored and blond highlights.  In between I use the Root Touch Up in dark blonde to cover the gray at my roots.  It blends perfectly with my highlights. 

Honored Contributor

I have had some bad experiences at some top notch salons in the past so a few years ago I learned how to color my hair. I am naturally a dark blonde so it is very easy to touch up my roots with L'Oreal Excellence (best for gray hair coverage) and I have light blonde hair with a lot of highlights. I just did it Saturday and very happy with the results. So no gray roots for me.

There are many tutorials on YouTube and they can really help...

Respected Contributor

I purchased 2 boxes of color today....had no idea what to buy but opted to try out Garnier Nutrisse & Loreal Preference.....I will do a small test area to see how that goes and maybe if it looks ok then I will just do some of my roots on the front and sides.

If not I will put that spray cover up on instead if I have to.  What I do not like about that stuff is that it comes off when I wash my face and makes my root area feel "gunky" I hate that.

I am not out and about alot at all just some essentials here and there...mostly at home.  But I do like having my hair/roots done.

As for needing a hair cut well that's just not gonna happen....I can trim my bangs a touch but that's it.  

I just hope things are better in my area and that my May 6th appt will work out.  

Valued Contributor

I just did my grey roots today. I used Dp hue root touch up kit in dark brown. I got on their site for half off but Amazon, Ulta, HSN have it too. It had the least amount of chemicals so didn't smell, was easy and came out great! I was scared to try it, I followed a You tube video how as I have never done my own. Before today, I was using a @Shanus tip for dark hair using mascara which helped alot!  Any root concealer  spray I'm sure will get you through too.