Respected Contributor

What OTC Retinol product do you notice the most improvements with?

I have used many, PTR, Dr Denese, Paula's Choice (both she has) and have also tired Sunday Riley's A+.  I just used my last drop of the Paula's Choice one and I am OUT of retinol, before I try to decide which one I want to reorder I thought I would post here to see if I can get some more ideas from you ladies.

So, what OTC Retinol do you purchase over and over again because you truly DO see results from it?

TIA for your time and input!  Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday.

Trusted Contributor

Re: What OTC Retinol product do you notice the most improvements with?

[ Edited ]

My dermatologist actually recommended Neutrogena Retinol products. He does have information available for other expensive items, but in talking, he really said Neutrogena was excellent for OTC. When I use up what I am currently using, I am going to give it a try. I currently use the Neutrogena Cream Cleanser for the a.m. shower (it is in a yellow tube). OTC and really reasonable in price. They now have a Retinol cream product in a pump dispenser. 

Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Daily Hyaluronic Acid Retinol Face Moisturizer, Anti Wrinkle Face Cream & Neck Cream with SPF 30 Sunscreen - Hyaluronic Acid, Retinol & Glycerin with SPF 30, 1 fl. oz

There is also a Retinol Night Cream available as well from Neutrogena. I will purchase both of them. Just put Neutrogena Retinol in the search box and it pulls up everything. 

Honored Contributor

Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum 

Valued Contributor

I've used Differin gel (available as OTC) for a while and I like the results. 

Respected Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@LilLadyNJ  Looking on Amazon - Is this the correct name? Differin Adapalene Gel 0.1% Acne Treatment

Also, reading reviews it says you will purge and breakout a lot for a month or two, did this happen to you?

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Mad Hippie Vitamin A Serum 

@JeanLouiseFinch  I don't know why but I always forget about Mad Hippie, I used to use their C  product but now for some reason C irritates my skin pretty badly so I have had to stop using products with C in it... ugh!

Valued Contributor

@SandGirl wrote:

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@LilLadyNJ  Looking on Amazon - Is this the correct name? Differin Adapalene Gel 0.1% Acne Treatment

Also, reading reviews it says you will purge and breakout a lot for a month or two, did this happen to you?

Yes that is the product. It's an OTC of a product that is available by prescritpion.

I didn't purge, but it took a couple of weeks to stop peeling as my skin adjusted. I started by using it every other night before using it daily. Wearing sunscreen every day is a must as well. I use a moisturizer over this. 

Respected Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

@SandGirl wrote:

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

Yes that is the product. It's an OTC of a product that is available by prescritpion.

I didn't purge, but it took a couple of weeks to stop peeling as my skin adjusted. I started by using it every other night before using it daily. Wearing sunscreen every day is a must as well. I use a moisturizer over this. 

@LilLadyNJ  Okay, thank you, I just may consider this.  Thank you so much for recommending it, never heard of it before.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was in the process of looking for a retinol, I wanted to get one that actually contained active retinoid. It's important to look for one in a container that protects the retinol from light and air...those elements deactivate retinol and very quickly.  Also look for for encapsulated retinol...that is a more stable form retinol. Many times a good retinol product will cost you more because of the packaging it comes in and adds to the cost so it keeps the active ingredient stable for longer. By the time you get to the bottom of the container of a good retinol product, what you use will most likely be active. So the higher price truly does pay off in that case.

Bottom line,don't buy retinol in a jar or clear or lightly tinted (blue or green) container. Get one in an opaque airless pump type container.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee, Mai I ask a product with encapulated retinol?I . I am willing to pay a higher ( if necessary) price. In the end you get what you pay for. I am interested in a good percent of retinol in the product to purchase. Forgive my rambling. Trying to get over this rotten flu. Appreciate your help. Sincerely