Honored Contributor

Re: What Do The Models Do That I'm Not Doing To Get Great Coverage?

@BunSnoop wrote:

@Shanus , looks like that may be where I'm going wrong -need either a primer or moisturizer, or perhaps a little bit of foundation as other posters have mentioned first, and then apply the powder make-up.

Do you, or any of the other posters reading this, have a favorite primer or moisturizer you can recommend please?   (I'm in my 60's and have oily skin, no issues with dryness yet).

@BunSnoop   I usually recommend Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base. It's great for all skin types, but especially good if you don't need a lot of moisture. All BB's moisturizers have a built in primer, so in one step, you're set to go. I'm pretty sure if they had another foundation on first, we wouldn't see the freckles or spots that are later covered w/ Balance & Brighten. It may however be a tinted moisturizer....just enough coverage to tone down the irregularities before the powder foundation is applied. Not really truth in advertising.  

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

They probably are wearing a primer.

Face primer is a must so that the moisterizers and other serums  do

not blend amd bleed into your foundation.  They also act to grab the foundation and you get a true color.  

S

They should disclose this fact during each presentation. Laura Geller always stresses that primer is needed under every type of foundation, even the powder type.

@Carmie But what if you have oily skin?  It's hard when you have old oily skin!  Woman Frustrated  I can't find a foundation that isn't too greasy or too matte.  It does on, goes around the pores then either slides off or cracks! 

Maybe I'll just wear the mask forever.  My forehead looks fine!  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner @Carmie  I never wear primer. I don't need my foundation to stay on "forever". If you let your skincare dry down for about 10 minutes, your foundation doesn't mix with it, seal it in or mix with your foundation. LG made big money with her Spackle, so of course, she says primer is necessary. 

For oily skins, there are mattyfying primers (try Smashbox) that also minimizes pores. You can apply it just where you need it...across the nose/cheeks, etc.

If skin is dry after your moisturizer, I always say you need another application. Many women apply moisturizer, it sinks in, they call it a day. If skin doesn't look plump and hydrated, apply more. 

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop    Does it say FULL COVERAGE in the description?  I am wondering if the models already had some on their face.  There are all kinds of tricks to make you think this product walks on water.  Personally, I think you have to keep putting more on your face.  Did you ever think of trying a full coverage liquid foundation that is sweatproof and waterproof?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I use a little setting spray over it. I mist it on and then pat it with a brush.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a big fan of LG’s baked makeup...have been wearing it for years, but I have never found the balance and brighten to do anything; It seems like only a finishing powder to me and I need coverage. I tried the IT in the shade recommended if you weren't sure what shade to order....it just made my face look dirty. After trying many expensive products for coverage foundation that doesn't look like a mask, I have come full circle back to Covergirl Aquasmooth. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Thanks.  But my skin gets oily as I wear makeup, so after a couple of hours it's gone.  And so far I haven't found a primer that works and doesn't cause me to break out.

I have basically good skin but makeup is an issue.  Even my derm, who has it all, says I have super sensitive skin so it is difficult to find a balance--I'm oily or flaky!  LOL!!  In between is pretty good, if ephemeral!  And foundation is the most difficult.   Thanks for your always good advice! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I read your answer to Shanus.  Have you tried Bobbi Brown's Fluid Powder SPF 20 makeup for oily skin?  I use it for my normal skin but it is particularly made for oily to normal.  Waterproof, sweatproof.  Light to medium buildable coverage.  $40.  It might be worth reading reviews on BB website.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

5pcs Round Powder PuffI use a good powder puff to apply my face powder. I get better coverage than using a brush.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with VenturaHighway.  In the past, any time I was applying powder of any kind, if I wanted more coverage, I always switched to a powder puff.  It seemed to give a lot more coverage than a brush.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin