Trusted Contributor

What Do The Models Do That I'm Not Doing To Get Great Coverage?

I recently purchased the Laura Geller TSV in medium.  When I watched the presentations,  when the models would start with a clean face before applying any product, you could see they had freckles, age spots, acne scars, etc.  HOWEVER, with my own eyes, I would see any imperfection(s) just vanish as they applied the product (balance and brighten).

How come when I put on the product, using the same brush as the models did, it seems like the concealing coverage is almost non existent?

What do the models do to get the coverage that I'm not doing?  I watch the presentations and it does not appear they're doing anything different than me - they swirl the brush in the product, apply it to their face, and magically...any and all imperfections are gone!

Honored Contributor

Re: What Do The Models Do That I'm Not Doing To Get Great Coverage?

Maybe they have on a primer. That will usually grab on to more product and give better coverage...? @Shanus 

Respected Contributor

I don't get it either. I only get minimal coverage myself.

It's just slightly better than a typical pressed powder compact application, AND, just as drying, unless applied immediately on top of a good moisturizer.  

Respected Contributor

From what I see the models use foundation that is at least one shade darker than they probably use in the real world. I especially notice this on their forehead when they do not blend it all the way to their hairline. If foundation is darker than your skin color it will cover everything, but you will look strange.

Trusted Contributor

Could it be camera filter(s)?

Honored Contributor

They probably are wearing a primer.

Face primer is a must so that the moisterizers and other serums  do

not blend amd bleed into your foundation.  They also act to grab the foundation and you get a true color.  

S

They should disclose this fact during each presentation. Laura Geller always stresses that primer is needed under every type of foundation, even the powder type.

Respected Contributor

I must have tried at least 10 different primers through the years and it changes nothing for me. The foundation looks the exact same and stays on the same length of time with or without a primer. If you know of a "magic" primer please reveal it.

Esteemed Contributor

I would guess a primer, too. But also, they may hold the brush bristles tightly so that it picks up more of the powder foundation.

Honored Contributor

@BunSnoop ,

Such a good question! I've always wondered that too.

And really, I've often thought that primers, cc creams bb creams abcz🙄, whatever are designed to convince women that they need to get them for the best results when they really are mostly a good way for the beauty industry and yes even vendors we like to make more money!

It seems they add more things each year as breakthroughs that we must need and use, when we really don't need them at all because do any make a real difference?

That includes skin care where a line starts out with a few great products and in order to be what they think is competitive and or relevant and make more money, they add more and more "must haves."

I have tried a primer, I think it was Mally or IT and it just seemed drying and also that I could use it instead of a foundation. But I wouldn't get it again.

If I was in the theater, or on stage, or tv, I might try to cover up with all these things and keep piling as much on as I could.

I don't know.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@BunSnoop I think @Janey2 has the answer. A darker foundation will cover more imperfections, but if it is much darker than your actual skin it is going to look terrible.

A primer, I'm sorry, is not magic but I know some people get good results.

I don't think a primer will make a big differenct if you aren't getting the coverage that you want from a foundation.

If you already own the foundation you can try other brushes or a sponge to get the coverage you want.

Or use a light foundation & then add the powder foundation on top. I know that defeats the purpose of having a quick use powder foundation, but you may be able to get a really nice look & use the products that you already own.