Contributor

My very spry 85 year old mother has weak, thin splitting nails (as the title would suggest). She had acrylic nails in the 80's, but she says they were weak before that. She has tried biotin supplements (at her derm's suggestion) with no results, and years ago she tried Sally Hansen Hard as Nails, also without results.

Does anyone have good product recs for her? I know there must be something good. It does not have to be from QVC; in fact I would prefer if it were not (annoyingly high shipping!).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Super Contributor

Re: Weak, thin, splitting nails

Nailtiques formula 2 or 2 plus. You can get it at CVS. Lots of posts on here recommending it and it really does work well. I decided to give up acrylic nails and this has really helped.

Respected Contributor

If she can tolerate the odor, soaking nails in brown vinegar will make them very hard. The down side - at least for me - was orangey discoloration - but my nails were like steel.

Respected Contributor

Yes, Nailtiques formula 2. I had tried pretty much everything for the same problem, since my teens. I started using this product about 4 months ago & the results have been astounding! No more peeling, splitting or cracking. I now have strong, flexible nails. I hope this works as well for your Mom & that she can enjoy wearing some pretty polish.

n

Super Contributor

Nail Magic, Amazon or Sally Beauty
Respected Contributor

Recently I’ve been getting into natural nail soaks. Specifically DIY home remedy/kitchen recipes. I have been testing different ones out and am plesantly surprised that most of them actually work! I gathered my favorite recipes and literally have a nail soak for every type of nail problem. If you have any recipes to add, or stories and photos of your mixtures.. please share. Enjoy!

1. Yellow, or stained nails?

Stain Remover Soak

• Hydrogen peroxide

Directions: Apply Hydrogen peroxide to cotton balls then let sit on the nail beds for 3-5 minutes or until stains are removed. Rinse well, then apply a good cuticle oil. Hydrogen peroxide can be drying so please do not use this method more then once per week!

Nail Whitener Soak

• 4 tbs lemon juice
  • 3 tbs warm water

Directions: Mix juice and water in a glass or ceramic bowl. Soak nails 10 minutes or until stains are removed. Rinse well, then apply a good cuticle oil. Lemon juice is a great natural bleach for getting yellow stains out!

2. Weak, brittle nails?

Milk & Honey Strengthening Soak

• 2 egg yolks, beaten
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 tbs honey

Directions: Mix ingredients in a small bowl. Soak nails for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well. Apply cuticle oil. Protein from the eggs and calcium from the milk will make those nails hard as rocks!

Fruity Strengthening Soak

• 1 packet of gelatin
  • 1 tsp of warm fruit juice

Directions: Mix the packet of gelatin, with the warm fruit juice. Soak 10-15 minutes, once a month. Super strengthening formula!

Egg Soak

• 2 Egg yolks
  • 1 tablespoon Olive Oil

Directions: Mix Ingredients in a small bowl. Soak nails for 10 minutes. Rinse well. Use this nail recipe 2 times a week for strong nails!

Milk Soak

• Milk

Directions: Soak nails for 10 minutes. Rinse well. Use this nail recipe 2 times a week for strong nails!

Vinegar Soak

• apple vinegar
  • vegetable oil

Directions: Keep hands in the mixture for 10-15 minutes. Do it 1-2 times a week.

3. Dry nails?

Moisturizing Nail Soak

• 1 tablespoon Hemp Seed Oil
  • 3-5 drop Lavender essential oils

Directions: Mix ingredients in a small bowl. Soak nails for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well.

4. Peeling nails?

Garlic Soak

• 1/2 cup Garlic Oil

Directions: Soak in garlic oil for 10-15 minutes daily. Garlic hardens and fortifies the nail bed. This will help to strengthen peeling nails.

5. Nails that just won’t grow?

Citrus Soak

• Orange Juice

Directions: Soak the nails for at least 10 minutes, then rinse. Orange juice contains folic acid which is great for hair and nail growth.

Tomato Juice Soak

• 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • 1/2 cup Tomato juice

Directions: Blend ingredients in a bowl. Soak nails for 10 minutes, then rinse. Recommended once a week.

6. All the above?

Soak in extra virgin olive oil 10-15 minutes a day, for a month. Then twice a week thereafter. This will help to fortify damaged, weak or peeling nails. TRUST ME! I’ve done this and you will notice results instantly.

http://nail-files.tumblr.com/post/18469093463/best-nail-soaks-for-every-type

Regular Contributor

On 7/17/2014 FLsunlover said:

Nailtiques formula 2 or 2 plus. You can get it at CVS. Lots of posts on here recommending it and it really does work well. I decided to give up acrylic nails and this has really helped.

Exactly. I use this. I have thin, weak nails that will split before they grow out. This is the ONLY product I find works. There are different formulas but if your moms are really bad, start with Formula 2 Plus, then bring it down to F2, and if they really improve you can bring it down further. Make sure you follow directions.

Super Contributor

Nailtiques 2 found at CVS. Hard as Hoofs hand cream. I got that from ebay or amazon. Both were recommended here. I stopped using acrylic nails in Feb this year and my nails were tissue paper. I filed them down to nothing and started to apply the nailtique 2 and hard as hoofs. They are currently about an 1/8 of an inch over my fingertips and are as hard as can be. They haven't even split. I stopped using the nailtique at the end of May but continue Hards as Hoofs at bedtime. I file them to keep them at that length since I have not been using polish.

Super Contributor

I have been using OPI's Soft and Thin Nail Strengthener for years. I also had thin, splitting nails. I put it on as a base coat and also as a top coat. My nails are very healthy and grow so long that I have to cut them back every few weeks. Try it!

Trusted Contributor

I agree with Nailtiques Formula 2. It TOTALLY transformed my weak peeing nails and now I have to file them down as they are too long!