Super Contributor

Watch out for the Perfector!!

I recently purchased the Calista Tools Perfector. I read the directions, and decided to try it on the lowest setting. I loved it! It curled my hair instantly, almost upon contact. I had lots of long-lasting body and shine. The next day my unit automatically set to a higher temperature, even though I set the unit to default to the lowest temperature just the day before. I reset the default temperature (thinking maybe I didn't do it right the day before) and once again achieved the same great results. The third day, it again automatically went up to a higher temperature. This caused concern.

When watching Maria's presentation, she holds the Perfector in some of the models' hair for a really long time! I can't imagine this as my hair was curling virtually instantly. (My hair is very straight.) This made me wonder if my unit was getting too hot. Out of fear of eventual damage, I returned the product.

Now, sure enough, I noticed a few short, kind of wiry-looking hairs sticking straight up on my crown, the main area I used my Perfector. I am convinced that the unit was overheating and burning my hair, even though I had it in my hair on the lowest setting for virtually seconds at a time. These little broken hairs definitely look singed! I've never seen hairs like this on my head before, so I'm certain the Perfector is the cause!

I hope other users have better results than me, but just be careful!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watch out for the Perfector!!

I have not had a problem with the perfector overheating. However, I have fine, straight hair and only used it at the lowest setting a few times a week. It burnt my natural healthy hair. I now have split looking ends in the shaft of my hair. I am so upset! I have to get trims more often to get rid of the damage this product caused. I absolutely hate this product.
Honored Contributor

Funny thing is this product didn't work for me at all. I mean not at all. I have thin, fine, poker straight hair and this product didn't even put a bend in my hair.

Valued Contributor

I have the Original Perfector and the New one and I have no problems with either of them..I love them. My hair has never burned from it. I have very Wavy/Curly/Frizzy hair and when I use it,I use it for a long time and never have I had anything like you are describing.Maybe you had a "DEFECTIVE UNIT"..So sorry for you,because it's a great product!

Respected Contributor

mine's been great.

Valued Contributor

OP sorry to hear your experience. I have had the perfector for a while and love it! I do lock it into the lowest setting each time I turn it on. Unlike the chi, you have to change the heat setting each time on the perfector. Sort of a pain but i love the tool. Hopefully shell redo this and it won't have to be reset all the time.
Super Contributor

I have the original one as well and have had no problems at all. It has actually made my hair silkier looking. Mind you, I don't use it ever day.

Respected Contributor

I bought my Perfector from Ulta. The first time I used it was on the high setting. I didn't leave it in but a few seconds and it fried the ends of my hair.

I then turned it down to the low setting. It's much better now, but there's no way I could leave it in my hair as long as the lady does on the models on TV.