Honored Contributor

I gave WEN a six month concerted try last year and yes, about two or three weeks in I noticed my hair was thinning. I had a month or so of my hair being absoultely manageable and bouncy and I was thrilled, so I continued using it. Besides the word was that you'll lose some hair in the beginning of using WEN, but it will balance out and be better than okay.

After two or three months of using WEN, I have considerable thinning and on top of that my hair started to "act up". It was greasy looking without being greasy, flat, etc. So I did everything in my power to change things up. I mixed formulas, I lessened product, I did everything recommended and imaginable to re-attain the look I had that first month.

It never came back no matter what I did. So after 6 months I reluctantly stopped using it. I say reluctantly because I still thought I was doing something wrong and I still might find my "magic" formula. That never happened. Besides I invested a lot of money in these products.

So I went back to my old products and my hair is good again. It's still not as thick as it was prior to WEN but I've had some regrowth. The thing is, how do you prove it's the WEN that causes this? It could be coincidence or diet or it could be hereditary. There's no way it can be proven.....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Frequent Contributor

the biggest problem with all the all loss claims is that basically only a handful of the people claiming that Wen caused hair loss ever bother(ed) to consult a doctor to find out if any of the ingredients is/was actually the reason for their hair loss. there are MANY reasons why someone could be experiencing hair loss. i've even called out a few of them and asked them if they consulted a doctor and at least a few of them VERY adamantly stated that they didn't see a doctor, that they weren't about to see a doctor, that they shouldn't have to see a doctor, and adamantly denied that there could possibly ever be any reason whatsoever other than Wen for their hair loss. Many of these same people's complaints online included descriptions of things such as itching, redness, etc - which are symptoms of allergies. Yes, there are ingredients in Wen that some people are allergic to (ie. menthol) yet so many people just can't and refuse to wrap their heads around the possibility that they could possibly be allergic to one or more of the ingredients, so they continue to write scathing comments about how Wen and never bother to ever actually find out what exactly in Wen caused their physical reactions. if someone is experiencing hair loss, the very first thing they should do is stop using Wen and consult a doctor to check for what could be in Wen that is causing a reaction instead of going online and whining . heck, if it happened to me i'd immediately be on the phone to my doctor - NOT going online and whining to a bunch of total strangers!

Trusted Contributor

Supposedly someone is trying to start a class action suit. I have no idea what they would have to prove in order for a ruling in their favor.

I don't doubt that some people have had bad reactions to WEN. All of our bodies are different and some people will have bad reactions to cosmetics that others do not experience. That doesn't necessarily mean there is anything inherently harmful about the product. Just that there is something in it that some people cannot tolerate. It happens all the time. My mother bought the Perricone TSV a while back and she had a bad reaction to it--red, itchy, peeling skin. These things happen.

I also suspect that some people have hair loss due to other unrelated conditions that occur while they are using WEN and they wrongly attribute it to WEN. For instance, thyroid conditions can cause hair loss and are fairly common in women, but can be difficult to diagnose and treat properly. Also, I read an article recently that indicated that natural ingredients common in cosmetics, like lavender, are irritants and people can develop sensitivities over time that can cause unexpected and dramatic reactions.

This is all a long way of saying, no product works for everyone. You have to go with what works for you.

Frequent Contributor
On 2/14/2015 Q4U said:

I gave WEN a six month concerted try last year and yes, about two or three weeks in I noticed my hair was thinning. I had a month or so of my hair being absoultely manageable and bouncy and I was thrilled, so I continued using it. Besides the word was that you'll lose some hair in the beginning of using WEN, but it will balance out and be better than okay.

After two or three months of using WEN, I have considerable thinning and on top of that my hair started to "act up". It was greasy looking without being greasy, flat, etc. So I did everything in my power to change things up. I mixed formulas, I lessened product, I did everything recommended and imaginable to re-attain the look I had that first month.

It never came back no matter what I did. So after 6 months I reluctantly stopped using it. I say reluctantly because I still thought I was doing something wrong and I still might find my "magic" formula. That never happened. Besides I invested a lot of money in these products.

So I went back to my old products and my hair is good again. It's still not as thick as it was prior to WEN but I've had some regrowth. The thing is, how do you prove it's the WEN that causes this? It could be coincidence or diet or it could be hereditary. There's no way it can be proven.....

and like so many others who blame Wen for their hair loss I'm assuming you NEVER bothered to make any effort whatsoever to find out what ingredient in Wen was causing the problem...

Occasional Contributor

its the menthol in Wen that caused hair loss with me, so I started using childrens Wen since it doesn't have menthol and it solved the problem

Contributor

I read in a law journal just last week that there is a class action suit filed against WEN for hair loss. It will be interesting to see the clinical data as people who have used the product and experienced hair loss come forward with their evidence.

Contributor

The girl who has the lawsuit is Amy Friedman of Florida. As for the lady who was talking about whining to strangers. I was simply asking if anyone else was having the same issues. I know, FOR A FACT, that it was the Wen that was making me lose my hair. I do not need to contact a doctor and spend extra money. I simply have stopped using the product. Why do you women get so upset over a stupid product, it is for some and not for others. I saw the picture of the girl that has the lawsuit, it was a very large area and she was bald, she did contact doctors. Everyone is different, why do you all get upset trying to defend Wen when it works for you?????? Why is your brain so small that you can not imagine that Wen may not be good for someone else and even possibly have other effects on other people??? IT IS JUST A PRODUCT LADIES..........LET IT GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trusted Contributor
Ah yes here we go again and again and again and again …""simply asking""? How quickly this turned into a bashing thread. Interesting to say the least -insert side eye-
live....laugh....love
Frequent Contributor

I don't use Wen as I think it's crazy expensive - but to each his own. But, with that said, why would anyone who is experiencing hair loss (or any other adverse effect from ANY product) continue to use it? I don't get it.

Contributor

Google the girl's name, Amy Friedman and Wen. It is all over the internet. It says that nothing is proven that Wen makes some lose their hair. But to me, their are too many people that it has happened to.