Respected Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Crisso said:

http://cdfirm.com/class-action-investigation-wen-hair-products-by-chaz-dean-alleged-to-cause-hair-lo...

There are at least 3 formulations of WEN. The one in this class action is not sold at QVC or Chaz's salon. We've already been all over this. Snooze fest.....

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Kjelle said:

http://cdfirm.com/class-action-investigation-wen-hair-products-by-chaz-dean-alleged-to-cause-hair-lo...

There are at least 3 formulations of WEN. The one in this class action is not sold at QVC or Chaz's salon. We've already been all over this. Snooze fest.....

Hey, I have been using WEN products. I only posted this to assist the previous poster.....

Contributor
On 2/25/2015 Kjelle said:

I didn't realize this when I posted (2 posts ago). I'm on this thread today because I was thinking of buying a bunch of WEN stuff for the first time, and I like to do research before I spend my money. So far, everything I read about WEN "causing" hair loss is vague, "I used it, my hair fell out, Chaz Dean wants everyone in the the world to be bald..."(Because that would be so good for his business).

It seems reasonable that WEN's formulations are problematic for some people, but I can't imagine how anyone could prove that this is deliberate or negligence by cosmetics chemists, formulators, marketers, salons, Chaz Dean, and the FDA...

For my own hair's sake, I'd love to know more specifics about this issue.

btw - IMHO, anyone who picks on Chaz Dean probably kicks puppies for fun.

Contributor

Maybe allergic reactions toSmiley Sad?)

methylchloroisothiazolinone is a known allergan that is recommended only for use in rinse-off products.

methylisothiazolinone is a preservative linked to allergenic reactions from baby wipes.

from INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF TOXICOLOGY:

http://ijt.sagepub.com/content/11/1/75.abstract

6 Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone

Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone (MI/MCI) are heterocyclic organic compounds that are used in cosmetics as a broad spectrum preservative system.

MI/MCI was absorbed after oral administration and then was excreted in the urine or feces; storage in the tissues was minimal. Up to 62% of a single percutaneous dose was bound to the site of application 24 hours after exposure. The MI/MCI-CG bound to the skin had a 13.1-day half-life.

MI/MCI was moderately to highly toxic to rats, and highly toxic to rabbits when administered orally, and moderately toxic when applied dermally. MI/MCI was not a cumulative ocular irritant when tested at 55 ppm. The dermal irritation of MI/MCI was concentration dependent but nonirritating to rabbit skin at 560 ppm concentrations; this nonirritating concentration is well above the maximum recommended use concentration.

No treatment-related effects were observed in rats which received MI/MCI in oral doses up to 24.4 mg/kg/day for 2 weeks. Doses of MI/MCI up to 2.8 mg/kg/day applied dermally to rabbits, 5 days per week for 3 weeks, produced moderate irritation at the application site but no systemic toxicity. Dermal application of MI/MCI at doses up to 0.4 mg/kg/day for 3 months produced no systemic toxicity in rabbits. No toxicologically significant treatment-related effects were observed in rats or dogs at doses up to 30 and 28 mg/kg/day, respectively. The result of genotoxic testing of MI/MCI varied with the assay used. Dermal application of 400 ppm MI/MCI-CG, 3 times per week for 30 months, had no local or systemic tumorigenic effect in male mice.

MI/MCI administered by gavage to pregnant rabbits and rats at doses up to 13.3 mg/kg/day was toxic to the dam, embryo, and fetus; the compound was not teratogenic.

MI/MCI is a sensitizer however, the concentration of MI/MCI in cosmetic products which produced sensitization varies. The available human sensitization test data at concentrations of 50 ppm and above are not in agreement. MI/MCI-CG was not a sensitizer or photosensitizer at a concentration of 15 ppm.

It is concluded that Methylisothiazolinone/Methylchloroisothiazolinone may be safely used in “rinse-off” products at a concentration not to exceed 15 ppm and in “leave-on” cosmetic products at a concentration not to exceed 7.5 ppm. The stated safe use concentration refers to a mixture containing 23.3% Methylisothiazolinone and 76.7% Methylchloroisothiazolinone.

http://orgs.dermis.net/content/e05eecdrg/e05news/e686/e706/index_ger.html

"Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) methylisothiazolinone

(MCl/MI ; Kathon CG, Euxyl K100)

The isothiazolinones are, perhaps the most potent allergens on the consumer market. They are very effective preservatives. However, under suitable dilution and exposure conditions, even the most potent allergen can be used safely.

The commercial product (Kathon CG) contains only 1.5% of the active ingredients (the ratio of which is 3:1) with the remainder being water and magnesium salts that stabilise the system. Methylchloroisothiazolinone is the more potent allergen of the active components.

The patch test concentration of the actives is 100ppm in water.

The preservative was responsible for an epidemic of contact sensitivity, in some geographical areas, in the 1980s and early 1990s. Problems occurred mostly when the preservative was used in leave-on products at concentrations higher than 15ppm. It is now mainly used in rinse-off products at lower levels (up to 15ppm but usually <10ppm). At these lower levels and use conditions, the prevalence of hypersensitivity is acceptably low and individuals allergic to the preservative may tolerate rinse off products (eg shampoos) preserved with it.

The patent on the original system is expiring. New systems may be introduced that are stabilised with other salts (copper) or contain the less allergenic fraction methylisothiazolinone.

Methylchloroisothiazolinone (and) methylisothiazolinone is the INCI name for the preservative and this is the name that must appear on cosmetic ingredient listing in the European and USA markets if a product contains it. Therefore, it is easy to determine consumer exposure (qualitative) to the preservative from use of cosmetic products. The absence of any meaningful ingredient listing on household products means that qualitative assessment of exposure from such sources cannot be made.

As the preservative is now essentially used only in rinse off products, any dermatitis with relevance to contact allergy to it will affect those areas mostly exposed to rinse off products: head, and hands. Labelling permits qualitative assessment of exposure to some product types that may contain it. There is no easy mechanism to assess quantitative exposure; it is exposure to an allergen in dose per unit area that is of pivotal importance for induction and elicitation. Because of this, for an individual allergic to the preservative, it is most practical to simply avoid using products identified as containing the preservative from the label. Levels of the allergen in a product may be too low to be able to elicit a reaction but the level will not be known."

Respected Contributor

What does bother me is that Chaz continues his partnership with Gunthy Renker when there are so many issues with people wanting to stop their memberships and they are still be charged. There are too many people that have this problem for it to be ignored. If one person complained, it's one thing. But since so many people have complained about the same thing, there is a problem.

I do believe that some people have a problem with Wen causing thinning and possible balding. They should absolutely stop using the product. At some point Chaz Dean needs to address this issue and others.

Super Contributor

I tried Wen a few years ago. Shower was full of hairs after shampooing and my hairline began to thin. I hadn't read any reports at that time regarding hair loss and it took a while to realize that the only aspect of my regime or diet that had changed was using Wen.

When I stopped, my hair continued to shed for a while and then stopped. It was only later that I discovered that many others had similar experiences.

My hair did regain it's lovely texture and bounce after returning to my regular products. I wanted to love Wen, but for whatever reason, Wen didn't love me.

Honored Contributor
On 2/25/2015 DogLvr said:

What does bother me is that Chaz continues his partnership with Gunthy Renker when there are so many issues with people wanting to stop their memberships and they are still be charged. There are too many people that have this problem for it to be ignored. If one person complained, it's one thing. But since so many people have complained about the same thing, there is a problem.

I do believe that some people have a problem with Wen causing thinning and possible balding. They should absolutely stop using the product. At some point Chaz Dean needs to address this issue and others.

Well, he could have had a long-term contract with them from the get-go so he can't get out of it. Or who really knows.

BUt I disagree, he doesn't need to publicly address anything regarding issues some people have with the product. It clearly states to discontinue use if an adverse reaction occurs, just like any other product does. I mean, people have issues with all kinds of lines but each line doesn't come out and address the minority that have issues with their products. It is silly to think that they should. It is just common sense to discontinue using a product that is causing you issues. I don't expect Philosophy to comment on the fact that their purity made my skin red and irritated and dry, like it has with many other people. Although many of us have had that experience, we are still in the minority. If we weren't, the product would be off the market by now.

Esteemed Contributor

As for getting off Gunthy Renker auto delivery programs ,get your dr to write a note for you, they will take you off really, really fast.

Occasional Contributor

You are needlessly rude. Bad day? Not all of us knew about this issue before today or recently. Get some sun. Go outside. Take a rest from keyboard negativity. Please.

Occasional Contributor

I didn't mean the poster on top of mine! Sorry. I.don't know how to properly reply to specific post. The rude person was way back.