Honored Contributor

Re: Using make-up that I don't like...

@Lipstickdiva---yes I agree !! and more things to be upset about than stupid make up, right!!! that is the least of my worries, these days. Feels kind of good to clean out the clutter----

Respected Contributor

I am still putting on makeup everyday as I always do but using up colors that I don't care for. At least they are being thrown away.

Honored Contributor

I don't keep any makeup that I do not like. I toss it with no apologies. It rarely happens but when it does, I refuse to have to look at a "mistake."

I guess I have been influenced by a lot of the YouTube videos that are pretty concise about what colors looks good and what look garish. There is one young woman who is a true artist and I she hasn't lead me wrong on what products work well....

Honored Contributor

I don’t keep or use makeup I don’t like. It gets returned if possible or tossed. I wouldn’t want to wear & use unflattering colors or “bad” products even at home. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jlkz wrote:

@Nataliesgramma 

The discontinued my Estée Lauder blush several years ago and now I am totally without even a trace of the cream.

I took a matte pink lipstick and a light coral and swab them on the now empty cream tray...swirl together and apply as blush.  Result is quite nice.

You May want to experiment with colors that will complement your lipstick, even using the lipstick as the second color to blend with the " pink ".

@jlkz   I find I'm using the lipstick I'm wearing also as cream blush more than the actual cream blushes I have.

Respected Contributor

I'm still working...at least for now...so still doing makeup 5 days a week. But this week I decided I need to use up a couple of cream foundations. I prefer either a mineral foundation or Laura Geller Balance & Brighten, but I have a tube of Mary Kay CC cream, and a tube of Laura Geller Quench & Tint that had never been opened. So, I'll use up one, then the other before going back to my favorites.

They're both nice, and the shades are good, I just prefer the powder-type foundations.

I did toss some eyeshadow palettes and liners that just weren't working for me earlier this year---that felt really good. I had more guilt about them sitting unused & unloved than I do about throwing them away!

Respected Contributor

I have been at home for about 3 weeks, an occasional trip for food, but did wear a mask.  The first time I didn't do much to hair but run a comb thru it and no eyemakeup and I wouldn't have recognized myself!

Yesterday DH and I went to the grocery store, but I ran a stying iron through second-day hair and applied makeup and eye makeup, no lip color but balm, and also wore a mask but looked nice and felt better being the "real me" who has worn at least some eye makeup since 1964....!  When we got home I showered and did a bit of minimal makeup for the rest of my at-home day.

I too recently threw out lots of old makeup that was never going to work for me and gave me guilt when I saw it, but now am using a lot of the stuff that was gift w/purchase and stashed away, or colors I wasn't adventurous enough to try, lots of interesting things. Experimenting has been fun, "making it work" to use products that needed a little help.

Most days it is a terrific look, and some times wow, what was I thinking!  But I've learned a lot, am more focussed on what I will wear and tossed much that will never see the light of day again. 

I found some concealers that are new and have tried them, one each day, and then decided to toss or keep using during this at-home time.  Some I like better than what I had been using daily, so that was a revelation.

I'm doing the same w/skin and hair care.  Have to say my skin has never looked better at 73; maybe it's the switching things out a bit?  I know that is always a good idea for my hair as well.  Also warmer weather here in WI has helped, always does.  Winter is brutal on my dry skin.

I have cut my own hair for 25 years, but now have been braver and come up with a great shorter style, still a version of what I had but just shorter and more flattering as finally some of my old natural curl has come back.  

It's an hour in the a.m. playing w/hair and makeup after my shower that is the quiet fun time in the day, where stress disappears, and I am in my own little fun world.  Hope everyone else can enjoy their beauty routines too!

Honored Contributor

Gosh I haven't worn makeup in 2 weeks, since working from home and not really going anywhere exccept the Grocery Store and Walgreens and then I put on some gloss and go! It feels really good, however I am sure in about another week or so I will want to wear some makeup again! 

Respected Contributor

I have been using samples that I like to keep for when we travel.

Honored Contributor

Before this virus, we could have donated any unused makeup/skincare. I doubt they'd take it now...they shouldn't.