Respected Contributor

Re: Under eye Concealer suggestions?

I have discovered a couple of things in the past few months that were literally eye openers! 

Eve Pearl is has long been onto this with her salmon concealer and she is not the only makeup artist using it, but it wasn't working for me. It was too light, even though I was using the recommended colors for my skin tone.

I went back to my copy of "The Book of Eve" as I call it and read again her method  of correction. BTW, she does not mention her brand of MU: this is all about using what's in your budget.

What I really needed was a blend of salmon-a darker one and yellow color corrections together, and it's much easier than I'm making I sound.  I decided to try a Graftopian color corrector wheel . I apply the salmon first-which is darker and has more orange in my perception. I apply it with a brush under my hollows, and then using a damp sponge,"slush"- never rubbing. 

Next I dot yellow concealer right under the hollows-but I don't smash again: instead, I take  my liquid concealer-and sometimes you may have to mix 2 shades together-I have many different ones and they can vary from one brand to another. I dot it on, and with a damp sponge, slush again. The smashing isn't quite the same as "patting".  It's a wee bit more intense: if you don't "smash" , cream or liquid, it's going to more or less sit on top of your skin and really show wrinkles and creases....and then I continue that until there are no lines of demarcation.

Another lesson I learned is never be afraid to apply a little more moisturizer when applying concealer or foundation. It does not have to be a lot, but if your skin is not really hydrated, it's just going to show more flaws.

This sounds lengthy, but the whole process literally takes a few seconds. Maybe for the young, one concealer shade may work, but in my experience, that's not the case.  Many concealer claim they have built in color corrector in them, and that may be true, but I have yet to find one that works for me.....a separate corrector is what I need and there's one for every budget. I was in the drugstore and I saw that Maybelline has one out.  I can't tell you how easy it is to apply, but if there's not enough "slip" dab the corrector on the back of your hand, take a drop of moisturizer and warm it up using a small flat applicator brush, then apply.

I know it sounds complicated, but I can do a "full face" in around 7 minutes.

One last thing....and according to Eve, where you apply your blush makes a huge difference: one method does not fit all.  I tried her way and it made a huge difference!

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

I have to agree with you about where to apply blush @Poodlepet2. I apply mine from slightly above the apple to slightly above or at the top of the cheekbones in a diagonal manner. Years ago it used to be at the apple and almost parallel to the ears. 

Wayne Goss has a YouTube video on how to apply blush and shows what it looks like when you apply it incorrectly. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee...The way you describe the Becca, its exactly what I would like to try, even tho its not a doe foot. Last night at ulta I tested all brands on my hand and did not get the silky lightweight feel I am looking for. I do have some Becca products that I love. I will be going to Sephora this coming week so I def. will check it out. Thankyou for the reco and the reviews.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Skinn Plasma concealer, I like Rewind too.

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@SilleeMee...The way you describe the Becca, its exactly what I would like to try, even tho its not a doe foot. Last night at ulta I tested all brands on my hand and did not get the silky lightweight feel I am looking for. I do have some Becca products that I love. I will be going to Sephora this coming week so I def. will check it out. Thankyou for the reco and the reviews.Smiley Happy

@Kabella,

Be sure to watch the Q's video about this Becca product! It gives you some good tips on how to apply it. Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@Poodlepet2 I don't have dark circles,slight discoloration in the inner corners of my eyes but I liked the age rewind for its silky brightening undereye effect while it did cover that area, but I do not like the sponge applicatior.. Thankyou for your suggestion Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Kabella, Same as Eve Pearl, Bobbi Brown and Laura Mercier also have concealer sets which correct color and conceal.  Laura's is called Secret Camouflage.  Bobbi's is called Creamy Concealer and you may have to buy the Corrector separately.  Some counters may have the kit which contains the corrector, concealer, and settting powder.  The compact QVC used to sell which included the Stick Foundation should be coming to all Bobbi Brown counters this spring.  All of these concealers require using fingers, brushes, and/or blender sponges.  These products are not heavy.  You apply what you need and unlike the more sheer tube concealers they stay put much longer.  

For a recommendation of a tube conceale with sponge or brush tip applicator, I like Pur Minerals Disappearing Ink which you can see at Ulta stores.

Respected Contributor

@Trix Thankyou for the suggestions. I will be going to Sephora tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kabella wrote:

@Trix Thankyou for the suggestions. I will be going to Sephora tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Keep us posted on what you tried and how you liked them. And of course, what you bought! Woman Happy @Kabella

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I will let you know. If I don't find what I like better than the Maybelline instant age rewind then I will take the product out of that puff applicator bottle & transfer it into one of my small saved jars. There are a few mentioned here that I am particually interested in trying, particular the Becca.