Regular Contributor

Re: Toxic Ingredients/Natural Makeup

Well, we are all different. I read ingredients- in everything from what I eat, to what I use on my skin and home (detergents, laundry products, etc.). I don't necessarily scrutinize every ingredient, but I do want to avoid certain ingredients. Anything with soy is a no-no for me, and I do not like chemicals or synthetic stuff in or on my body. I have found numerous makeup and skin care lines that are quite effective and well-performing! 

Honored Contributor

For me it's a personal choice I make. One person's elixir is another person's poison.

Contributor

Hi!  I do!!!  Your skin is the largest organ in our bodies, so what we put on our skin ends up in our bodies!  So I'm very careful about what I use.  I don't really use makeup but if I do I use Josie Maran products since they are aragan oil based & vegan, and I use Thrive Cosmetics products....they are awesome...all natural & vegan too!  Yay!  Check those out!  XOXOXOXOXO

Contributor

True...one thing by itself probably won't hurt, but there are many toxins we out on & in our bodies daily in addition to regular environmental facors, that it can all add up Smiley Surprised(  I just try to minimize as many toxins as I can Smiley Surprised)  XOXOXO

Valued Contributor

I agree other things could be causing the issue. But changing foundations took the redness away. Just a coincidence? 

Foundation is absorbed into the skin. So if someone got a disease it would be very difficult to trace it back to makeup. That could be the reason why we don't hear of anyone dying from makeup. 

PEG10 tiny plastic beads sometimes contaminated with 1,4dioxane which US government considers a probable human carcinogen 

Phenoxyethanol skin, eyes, lungs irritation

Retinyl Palmitate data from FDA study speeds development of skin tumors and lesions

We shouldn't believe everything on the internet but when it pops up in a lot of places it's worth reading.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Valued Contributor

@lexiee Thanks for the suggestions. I will look them up. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

Young Living has come out with a makeup line.  It's called Savvy Minerals, a loose powder/foundation.

It has zero bad ingredients.   

Honored Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

I agree other things could be causing the issue. But changing foundations took the redness away. Just a coincidence? 

Foundation is absorbed into the skin. So if someone got a disease it would be very difficult to trace it back to makeup. That could be the reason why we don't hear of anyone dying from makeup. 

PEG10 tiny plastic beads sometimes contaminated with 1,4dioxane which US government considers a probable human carcinogen 

Retinyl Palmitate data from FDA study speeds development of skin tumors and lesions

We shouldn't believe everything on the internet but when it pops up in a lot of places it's worth reading.

But the problem with this is that it's circular -- much like gossip. One person posts it and then others copy it, and all of a sudden, it's become the truth.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@SandPiper wrote:

But the problem with this is that it's circular -- much like gossip. One person posts it and then others copy it, and all of a sudden, it's become the truth.

Also, it's sort of like playing "telephone" (if anyone remembers that game). First person highlights what mentions the "facts" that back up their theory that ingredient is "dangerous." Next person adds their own spin, reflecting what they here. And so on.... And, yes, of course, this can also happen in the other direction, arguing something is safe. The truth is more than likely going to be somewhere in the middle, depending on multiple factors that neither side may have mentioned.

Some of these factors (in no particular order):

• study itself may have been flawed (not deliberately, just that it's very possible for something to hve been overlooked in setting up a study
  • just because there are negative results using the amount in the study doesn't mean that the percentage actually used in a product isn't safe; think things like water, vitamins, etc.
  • the study itself may indicate the need for further study; but that info is conveniently left out
  • you have to consider the safety profile of the ingredient in relation to other ingredients that would serve the same purpose in the product

No ingredient is going to be 100% reaction free for everyone. 

Super Contributor

Thank You for posting!  I have been allergic to make up and nail polish all of my life and I need to read every label. Haven't used mascara in years.  Right now I have an allergic reaction on my eyelid so  stopped using everything.  Used to use Bare Minerals but it isn't the same anymore.  I wonder how Laura Gellar is?