Valued Contributor

Toxic Ingredients/Natural Makeup

About 10 years ago I started getting some redness on my face. I didn't think anything of it, just thought aging, etc.

Well last month I visited my friend in Colorado and she asked me about the redness and what makeup I wear. She pointed out at least 2 ingredients  that were on a list of toxic ingredients. For the week I used her Jane Iredale BB foundation and I couldn't believe the redness completely disappeared. The only thing is the color was not exactly right for me (just wore it to see what would happen). Now I'm trying to get a color match and it's seems I'm between colors. 

Does anybody look at the ingredients in your makeup. Does anyone even care what they are. And if you've found a natural makeup and like it can you share what brand it is. Although I haven't given up on Jane Iredale yet. 

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Respected Contributor

Re: Toxic Ingredients/Natural Makeup

Can you tell us the name of the ingredients?  How about the name of the product (if we are permitted)?  I used Bare Minerals for years and got little bumbs on my face.  Now I'm using Eve Pearl but still get the bumbs.  Don't know what to do. 

Trusted Contributor

First, many, if not most, of these toxic lists are more fear mongering than reality. Any ingredient can be shown to be dangerous if exposure is great enough, even water. Cherry picking the information to present, making it sound like the worst case scenario is the only likely outcome and leaving out significant details makes for excellant "news" stories that increase income for the fear monger.

Now on to the redness. If the irritation is going away by using another product, it makes total sense to switch products.Different people are irritated by different ingredinets. Your irritation could be due to the "toxic" ingredients. But it could just as easily be due to some other ingredient, or combinaiton of ingredients, in the product. 

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle The original Bare Minerals has bismuth, it can cause rashes, redness, itching & bumps if you are sensitive to it. You'll find bismuth in lots of make-up brands. I have a list of ingredients I have to a avoid so I never buy anything without knowing what's in it. The Bare Minerals matte is bismuth free but I no longer use it, the colors changed after Leslie sold her company.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

@luvmybeetle The original Bare Minerals has bismuth, it can cause rashes, redness, itching & bumps if you are sensitive to it. You'll find bismuth in lots of make-up brands. I have a list of ingredients I have to a avoid so I never buy anything without knowing what's in it. The Bare Minerals matte is bismuth free but I no longer use it, the colors changed after Leslie sold her company.

Thanks, I thought that might be it but didn't check into it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've never heard of anyone dying from wearing makeup. Sensitivities and allergies to certain constituents are most likely to happen. 'Toxic' implies poisonous, meaning capable of causing death and illness.

ETA:  I take that back...many years ago Kabuki actors in Japan wore the white makeup which contained lead. The lead gave the makeup total opacity and full coverage. There were reported deaths of some of these actors who died from lead poisoning. Lead is no longer used in the white makeup.

Valued Contributor

@juperier @luvmybeetleThe ingredients are PEG-10 and 9, retinyl palmitate and phenoxyethanol. It could be other ingredients or a combination but we pinpointed the toxic ones. I looked them up on EWG.org suggested by my friend. They have a huge cosmetic database. 

@kitcat51 I can't wear Bare Minerals I get little red pimples. I noticed their  foundation has PEG10 and phenoxyethanol. Hmmmmm.

Sometimes the strength within you is not a big fiery flame for all to see. It is just a tiny spark that whispers ever so softly "You Got This - Keep Going"
Honored Contributor

@SandPiper wrote:

@juperier @luvmybeetleThe ingredients are PEG-10 and 9, retinyl palmitate and phenoxyethanol. It could be other ingredients or a combination but we pinpointed the toxic ones. I looked them up on EWG.org suggested by my friend. They have a huge cosmetic database. 

@kitcat51 I can't wear Bare Minerals I get little red pimples. I noticed their  foundation has PEG10 and phenoxyethanol. Hmmmmm.

PEGs are cones and they give smoothness and slip.

Phenoxyethanol is an antibacterial...you need this to avoid skin infections.

Retinyl palmitate is a skincare ingredient classified as a form of retinol.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I've never heard of anyone dying from wearing makeup. Sensitivities and allergies to certain constituents are most likely to happen. 'Toxic' implies poisonous, meaning capable of causing death and illness.

ITA.

I remember way back in the 80’s when anti-aging products really began to be marketed.  So many women complaining about scaly, red, patchy, dry skin.  Well, when you...

wash your face w/ anti-aging,

mask/scrub w/ anti-aging,

serum w/ anti-aging,

moisturize w/ anti-aging,

makeup w/ anti-aging,

finishing powder w/ anti-aging.....

....something’s got to give.

Layer upon layer women pile on the product when, in reality, going bare

faced w/ a little translucent powder would be beautifully all they need.

Blaming the makeup when there’s a million other things, outside products

and possibly nutrition, most likely causing the issues. 

Trusted Contributor

@SandPiper Unfortunately, EWG is considered by many (including myself) to very much lean towards fear mongering. While what they say likely has some truth to it, it was very eye-opening to me to have what they said put into context by an internationally known nail expert who had already proven himself to be very trustworthy. 

It may be a few days, but I'll try and remember to take a look and see what I can find on these ingredients.