Honored Contributor
On 1/28/2015 chisos said:
On 1/28/2015 suzyQ3 said:
On 1/28/2015 AnotherView2 said:
On 1/28/2015 S Woods said:

A PLEA to anyone with 'TOO MUCH SKNCARE", if you have extras and things you want/need to dispose of to make room, PLEASE consider donating these items to your local Food Bank! Even partially used lotions/crèmes/gels and cleansers are welcome! These items are not covered by Food stamps and many of our clients cannot afford them. We have many elderly with dry skin problems in the winter cold and many young mothers with children who can use these products. Just a FYI!

I have donated new and newish pump lotions, shampoo, etc. and also new wrapped bars of soap, new toothbrushes and paste, kleenex, etc. to a local women's shelter a few times a year. The Salvation Army runs one here that accepts those type of donations.

People who are even worse off than that who visit a food bank are usually homeless. I believe they will accept all types and modes of personal care supplies. What might be icky for the ladies on here to use since we are used to everything being completely sterile isn't necessarily yucky to someone else.

I have a friend who is taking donations of warm socks right now to pass out to the homeless at the local food bank when they are there for meals. We don't typically wear socks all the time here in FL but, it's been rather cold (our version of cold) lately. Not all the socks are new but they have all been laundered well.

I don't think one can compare laundered socks to used skin care. Used and/or expired skin care is problematic, not just "yucky."

It is easy to tell which one of you know what you are talking about. If you think used hygiene products (that's what they call it) are "problematic" then you truly don't get it. No offense intended - just fact.

I simply don't understand your post. My take is that used hygiene products should NOT be donated, contrary to what AnotherView2 thinks. If you disagree, so be it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I donate to a women's shelter and they absolutely will not take anything that has been opened/used. Period.

It would never cross my mind to donate used hygiene products, regardless of who they are going to. Just like I'd not open up a jar of spaghetti sauce, use some and donate the rest.

Contributor

YIKES! I wasn't very CLEAR about donating Skin Care products. To clarify, items like open jars should not be donated for hygienic reasons. However, items that have pump delivery systems or tubes of crèmes, lotions or shampoo are just fine. Bath/shower gels, those wee hotel/motel soaps, shampoos and lotions are great! Items that just don't work for you or have an unpleasant scent to you can be just fine for someone else. We do inspect Expiry dates on everything donated but most personal care products have a fairly long expiration date. Believe me, your unwanted products are highly coveted by people who cannot normally afford them. Thank you all for considering my suggestion!