Super Contributor

Re: The Nick Chavez Ethnic Hair Thread.

JMFINLEY001, no problem! Glad to do it. I remember Iris because I love her personality! Smiley Happy I will ask Nick about models when I see him in the salon, hopefully in the next month or so. I do think a lot of the emphasis on his line is on volumizing for us fine, thin haired people (raising my hand!), but I know he has products that concentrate on other issues, but I'm not as familiar with them. I believe his Yucca Root Shampoo & Conditioner are made specifically for hydration. Also, on his website, there's an area where you can click on your hair type or concerns, i.e., curly hair, need for hydration, etc., and get recommendations for products. The other thing I would suggest is that if someone has a question about products, you can email his customer service (I'm not sure QVC will let me put the address here, but it's CS at his website name), and the response is excellent and very nice.

I hope this will help someone out!

Janice

Super Contributor

I have been watching and using Nicks products since he first started on qvc. He used to be on a lot more and he always had a diverse group of models (different ages, hair lengths, hair types and ethnicities). I also got his book and in the about the author description, it says: After years of working with a multitude of hair products, Nick decided to create his own hair care line that would work on all hair types and ethnicity. Unfortunately, he does not seem to be on as much anymore and I am bummed that I missed the shows the other day. He does have products that help combat frizz:

Horsetail Root Lifting Spray

Starlet Shine Spray

Advanced Volume Style Booster

Featherlite™ Styling Spray Glaze

Liquid Silk Blow-Out Smoother

I have naturally curly hair and went from a humid climate to a dry climate and his stuff still works great. Hope this helps.

tkins

Respected Contributor

Hello there, ladies. Smile

@HonnyBrown, yes. Like Jangroomer said, Nick has a product called Velvet Mesquite Serum. This will tone down the frizz and make your hair very soft. It won't leave a residue and isn't greasy, either. After I put it on my hair, my hair just drank it up. My hair felt soft, and yet I couldn't feel the product on my hair or my hands. What I mean by that is, ever use a product for your hair and/or skin, and while it does its job, it just kind sits on the surface and leaves a residue when you touch your hair? Velvet Mesquite Serum doesn't so that. The only drawback to it is that the part that contains the product isn't clear, so you can't tell how much you used or how much is left.

@islandgrrl, a long, long time ago, I saw Nick use his products on a model of color and her hair turned out rather nice. But that was ages ago and I don't remember what product he used. It would seem over the years that Nick cornered the market for women with thinning hair and hair that was very flat. Now, Nick seems to be branching his products for ladies (and men) who don't want volume, but instead want and need moisture and nourishment for their hair. I'm seeing that a lot lately with his Traditions line. No offense to QVC USA, but they really don't do any justice to Nick's Traditions line. I've learned way more about Nick's Traditions products from watching QVC Germany and QVC Italy. If you have that type of hair, for you I would suggest trying Nick's Traditions Yucca Root shampoo and conditioner for moisture and nourishment. The shampoo tube will even say "Hydration" on the bottle. For extra added softness and frizz taming, I would suggest Nick's Velvet Mesquite Serum. That can go on wet or dry hair. Hope you find something that works well for you.

@bruingirl, thank you for the info about the models.

A big thank you to all the other ladies that suggested Nick's other products that are good for ethnic hair. Smile

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone!

I am always looking out for a good serum. It will be nice to give Nick a try, finally!

NC, he's getting a lot of attention on this board {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

NC Bandwagon: Many thanks for your thoughtful feedback. I completely understand finding a niche like fine, thinning hair that needs volume. Nick is no doubt doing a great service for women with that need. Not every product line needs to work for everyone.

If Nick is beginning to broaden his range, it would be great to introduce ethnic models so that curly girls and women of color can see the products in action. We are often willing to spend what it takes to get the care our hair needs.

Respected Contributor

@HonnyBrown, you're welcome. And thank you. I'm enjoying talking about Nick with so many people. Smile

@islandgrrl, you're welcome. The thing I've learned about QVC, is that different QVC branches seem to cater differently. In QVC USA, it's mostly about the glitz and glam, so Nick's products that give the most volume and shine are shown here in QVC USA more often. That wasn't a slam to QVC USA, just more of a statement of fact. While the QVC international branches cater to both the wants AND needs of the hair.

When I learned about Nick's Traditions line, I learned it from watching QVC Italy. QVC Italy shows almost every single product Nick has made. Another product that Nick makes from his Traditions line is called Raindrops(again, QVC Italy showed this, but I haven't used it myself). This is something that's sprayed on the hair to counteract the effects of hard water. So, I'm finding that the products that Nick makes to really hydrate and nourish the hair are shown much, much more in QVC Italy and Germany than in QVC USA.

Lately, even Nick himself has been saying, "some ladies DON'T want a lot of volume in their hair." So even Nick is aware of it. The thing is, when Nick comes on, I don't think he gets to decide which products he wants to show.

So it seems like Nick has a few products that are indeed good for hair nourishment and hydration, but stay away from volume. Which I think is good because for those who have very thick, heavy, coarse hair, a product that gives more volume may be the last thing they need, in my opinion.

Sorry for that long winded post. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

On 9/17/2014 JMFINLEY001 said:

Now I am wondering if there has ever been a woman of color with Nick? I wish he would show how his products work on various hair types, and ethnicities!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I'm not 100% certain, but I think Trina use to model for Nick Chavez. I'm not sure how his products work on natural ethnic hair, but his (now discontinued) perfect plus moisturizing shampoo and conditioner worked really well on my previously relaxed hair. I don't relax my AA/Asian hair anymore, so my hair has different needs, now.
☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor

You ladies really need to step into the year 2014 and start using better terminology. No one says "ethnic hair" anymore. Probably because everyone is "ethnic" and we all have hair...lol It doesn't mean anything. Also, there is really no such thing as "black hair" because just as back complexions come in a wide range, black hair comes in a wide range of textures. From dead straight to curly to kinky to coily. I assume you are referring to curly/kinky hair 3B, 3C, 4A, B, C. I don't believe Nick Chavez targets curly hair girls of any enthnicity. His products focus on thickening, adding volume, control etc. He doesn't actually offer any super hydrating products or curl custards or curl gels or oils specifically made for curls. That's why he doesn't use any black, hispanic or mixed race models. The Curly Girl movement is happening with out him. It's quite the opposite for Chaz and WEN. Chaz has embraced the Curly Girl and Natural Hair movements.

Respected Contributor

On 9/18/2014 sailor moon said:
On 9/17/2014 JMFINLEY001 said:

Now I am wondering if there has ever been a woman of color with Nick? I wish he would show how his products work on various hair types, and ethnicities!!!!!{#emotions_dlg.blushing}

I'm not 100% certain, but I think Trina use to model for Nick Chavez. I'm not sure how his products work on natural ethnic hair, but his (now discontinued) perfect plus moisturizing shampoo and conditioner worked really well on my previously relaxed hair. I don't relax my AA/Asian hair anymore, so my hair has different needs, now.

Hey sailor: I don't want to hijack this purpose of this thread but I'd love to catch up with you on the WEN women of color thread to hear what combo of products you are using. I have not relaxed my AA/Caucasian hair in many years as you have stated. And as I get a little older the needs of my hair seems to evolve constantly.

Esteemed Contributor

Nick was the first hair care vendor to use African-American models on QVC. In the past he has used an older black woman with gray hair, who is not a regular QVC model. Amongst the QVC regular models he might not have one to choose from because the ones who do not have hair extensions (weaves) model for WEN. In his defense whenever I see Nick on air he definitely mentions if he believes a particular product will offer exceptional results on women of color hair textures.

My own testimonial is Nick's hairsprays and styling products work great on African-American hair. My own hair fine delicate locks (whether relaxed or natural), style beautifully using Nick's products. My favorites are Soft Flocker, and Thirst Quencher Hairspray. I also like the Starlet Shine spray. I've used his shampoos and conditioners before as well, and honestly can say they always performed well for me. It's not my daily, but I've got his Volumizing Shampoo and Conditioner on my haircare shelf and do use them a couple times a month.

Nick's got my attention with the Mesquite serum. I hope on a future visit Q puts together a Mesquite set including a new shampoo & conditioner, the serum, and the style gel and hairspray (both which are being sold presently).