Respected Contributor

The New Quarantine Haircut: Anyone learning self-cuts on videos?

In San Francisco, facing more weeks/months without hair salons, the Quanantine Haircut is on YouTube—clever stylists from closed salons are showing us how to cut our own hair.

I just transitioned to the razor shag cut last year and am amazed at how flattering it is, with soft curls appearing as if by magic:

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 4.26.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 4.26.16 PM.png

Love my razor shag cut, but not on my "let's try this!" list. I will just start using ordinary (excellent) sheers and do some blunt piecy cuts. Because it doesn't look like salons are opening soon in California.

However, Instagram and YouTube have lots of videos. Guys are cutting their own hair, couples are trading cuts.

The top styist, Jayne Meadows, who travels(ed) around the country teaching the razor shag cut (Sally Hershberger started it) is now CHARGING a lovely $300 for a virtual lesson (you can use the rest of your life, she says).

Applauding stylists who are getting creative about their craft.

Anyone creatively dealing with self-cuts? Find a video-lesson you love?

Respected Contributor

Re: The New Quarantine Haircut: Anyone learning self-cuts on videos?

There's not a chance in heck that I'd try cutting my own hair. Fortunately, it's a shoulder length, layered bob so it doesn't need a lot of maintenance. I can easily skip a cut. Color is another story. I'll be sporting a lot of ball caps until this is over. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

I will cut my DH's hair, as I have many times in the past. We have a Wahl kit for that.  DH refuses to even try to trim mine.  Once the salons open back up I plan to get a completely new style anyway.  Just don't know what style that will be. 😉

Esteemed Contributor

@1Professor   The short razor cut is how my friend who is a hairdresser showed me how to cut mine. 
  After a bad perm she started cutting it, but she went on vacation a lot. She gave me a razor and I've been cutting it for about 22 years. 
  Now I wear a hearing aid behind my ear and have it a bit longer  in the winter. 
  I have a 3 way mirror in the bathroom, and use a hand mirror also.

If there's a mistake you can usually hide it by styling products or sprays.

Super Contributor

I asked my BF to cut my hair last night. He had done it once before and it was ok. He was supposed to cut about 3 inches off my ponytail. By the time he got done, and had it pretty even, he's cut about 5 inches. Now I have about 3 inches to my ponytail. Oh well... it's getting hotter, and I always wear it in the ponytail, so it was much easier in the shower last night. It's hair, it will grow.

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@1Professor   The short razor cut is how my friend who is a hairdresser showed me how to cut mine. 
  After a bad perm she started cutting it, but she went on vacation a lot. She gave me a razor and I've been cutting it for about 22 years. 
  Now I wear a hearing aid behind my ear and have it a bit longer  in the winter. 
  I have a 3 way mirror in the bathroom, and use a hand mirror also.

If there's a mistake you can usually hide it by styling products or sprays.

@1Snickers : You have inspired me!

(Perhaps I could learn to do a razor cut, because the best stylists leave, get busy, or start their own salons elsewhere . . .)

image1.jpeg

Day20320On20Tour208926_orig_large.jpg

Honored Contributor

Nope!  I leave my hair to the professionals!  I'm waiting patiently for my appt. May 2nd.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I may need to cut it myself before this is all over and safe to go into salons again.

We got our hair cut the day before super cuts closed. We were the only two in the shop.

Honored Contributor

I am a licensed hairdresser.  I would not attempt to razor cut my own hair.

i am not a big fan of using the razor on most people.  If you have curly, course or frizzy hair, a razor cut will make it worse.  It also splits your hair shaft.

Think of a strand of hair is a stalk of celery.  Now imagine running a vegetable peeler down it.  It will strip the top layer of the celery away.  That is what a razor will do to your hair.

Razor cuts are okay if you wear you wear your hair short and get it cut often, but if you have medium length hair and decide to grow it out, you will have a whole lot of hair damage to cut away.

I am also not a fan of putting hair into a pony and cutting it.  I have had to correct a lot of bad haircuts over the years.  It is much better to section the hair and pull it up.  let down a little at a time and cut a little.  Bring down another layer to meet the cut hair and cut again.  

Bangs are easy to cut.  Start cutting in the middle (center of your nose for a guide) to the side. Then cut the other half starting from the other far side to the middle. Go slow and cut small portions.  Remember to cut hair while wet and it will dry and shrink up a little.

Cutting hair is like painting on canvas. An artist can show you, you can do as you are taught, but unless you have talent, it won't turn out well.  

Honored Contributor

I've been cutting my own hair for years. I wear mine in a short pixie with spikey on top. Since I've been retired, 5 years, I have been going to a local salon where I get it cut, colored and highlighted now. I'll cut my own hair again in a minute but the color is a different story. 

"Pure Michigan"