Respected Contributor

Re: The New Quarantine Haircut: Anyone learning self-cuts on videos?

I just ordered a two inch guide for my dog clippers and when it comes I will cut my hair.  I wear it short and am trying to let the color grow out.  The worse that can happen is that I will go to a hairdresser when this is over and get the cut straightened out.  If the gray color looks bad I will color it again.   I don't see anyone except when I take the dogs for a walk and then I am wearing a baseball cap.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie 

I can attest to a razor cut being disasterous for curly hair.

Years ago, a new stylist ripped through my beautiful curls with a razor, then "texturized" it with a razor.

It was over a year before it recovered.

Fortunately, after almost 25 years I went to a new stylist in early March, before the virus situation closed her salon, and she gave me a perfect cut to allow my curls to return.

It's a bit of a long shag, and returns me to the haircut of my early 30s.  My curls have changed, but I'm hoping once I can get back to her, she can reshape my hair as it grows out.

I'm commited to letting go of having it smoothed, and welcoming my natural curls back!

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie : I'm one with short, thick, wavy, coarse hair whose hair responds best when a razor is used  in conjunction with scissors. Grows so fast I need to go in every 3 weeks.

When I have to start with a new hairdresser it takes a while to convince him/her to get comfortable using a razor on my hair. if not comfortable  using a razor, I have to find someone new.

It's probably good I don't own one or I'd be dangerous

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

I am a licensed hairdresser.  I would not attempt to razor cut my own hair.

i am not a big fan of using the razor on most people.  If you have curly, course or frizzy hair, a razor cut will make it worse.  It also splits your hair shaft.

Think of a strand of hair is a stalk of celery.  Now imagine running a vegetable peeler down it.  It will strip the top layer of the celery away.  That is what a razor will do to your hair.

Razor cuts are okay if you wear you wear your hair short and get it cut often, but if you have medium length hair and decide to grow it out, you will have a whole lot of hair damage to cut away.

I am also not a fan of putting hair into a pony and cutting it.  I have had to correct a lot of bad haircuts over the years.  It is much better to section the hair and pull it up.  let down a little at a time and cut a little.  Bring down another layer to meet the cut hair and cut again.  

Bangs are easy to cut.  Start cutting in the middle (center of your nose for a guide) to the side. Then cut the other half starting from the other far side to the middle. Go slow and cut small portions.  Remember to cut hair while wet and it will dry and shrink up a little.

Cutting hair is like painting on canvas. An artist can show you, you can do as you are taught, but unless you have talent, it won't turn out well.  

@Carmie : Wonderful informed information! Thanks for sharing.

With salons closed for the next months (I think) it gives me time to grow out the short shag razor cut and think about a piecy blunt cut. (Always liked Meg Ryan's piecy cut.) Shag cuts that aren't razor:

87d4da381f6fa24d8c01efd8e73befcd.jpg

images.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't do a full haircut with scissors let alone attempt a razor cut. Besides that, I have thin hair that is fragile.  They never take a razor to my hair type.  

I think these cuts are cute but best saved for the professionals.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

I have long silver hair and just trim the ends every so often myself..

My hubby goes for hair cuts about every 6 weeks... he is needing a trim really bad so I told him today I was going to trim up his sides and neck area... he gave me  a face like OH NO..... I told him it would be just fine.... ( my first attempt, but, I am not telling him that!)Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

might have to trim my bangs in the near future just a little bit.  not gonna go near the length lol. i would not ever do my own razor cut! at a salon they did a horrible job the one time i had it done, never again! Man Frustrated

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Valued Contributor

I would NEVER take scissors or a razor to my own hair. Learned that lesson the hard way when I was 7 yrs old and thought how cool it would be to cut bangs into my beautiful waist length wavy hair! It didnt go well! Now @ 51 yrs old I have wavy hair that reaches to the middle of my back & I've learned the art of the messy bun!! Perfect for summer in Louisiana & will get my ends trimmed & a few layers cut in whenever I can.
Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I am a licensed hairdresser.  I would not attempt to razor cut my own hair.

i am not a big fan of using the razor on most people.  If you have curly, course or frizzy hair, a razor cut will make it worse.  It also splits your hair shaft.

Think of a strand of hair is a stalk of celery.  Now imagine running a vegetable peeler down it.  It will strip the top layer of the celery away.  That is what a razor will do to your hair.

Razor cuts are okay if you wear you wear your hair short and get it cut often, but if you have medium length hair and decide to grow it out, you will have a whole lot of hair damage to cut away.

I am also not a fan of putting hair into a pony and cutting it.  I have had to correct a lot of bad haircuts over the years.  It is much better to section the hair and pull it up.  let down a little at a time and cut a little.  Bring down another layer to meet the cut hair and cut again.  

Bangs are easy to cut.  Start cutting in the middle (center of your nose for a guide) to the side. Then cut the other half starting from the other far side to the middle. Go slow and cut small portions.  Remember to cut hair while wet and it will dry and shrink up a little.

Cutting hair is like painting on canvas. An artist can show you, you can do as you are taught, but unless you have talent, it won't turn out well.  

This is so true!!  Razor cut on curly hair...frizzy hair is a nightmare and a huge mistake!!  I learned that the hard way...yrs ago a stylist said it would be great for my hair type....wrong!  

I won't be cutting my hair....my husband will not be cutting my hair.  I can trim my bangs some if I want to and do it the way described above.  But that's it....as for color....I did that and well it came out pretty good I must say.  I may start coloring my own hair and just go in for cuts most of the time in the future.  Would save me alot of $$'s.

Good luck to you ladies that are dare devils cutting off your hair or letting others do it for youWoman LOL