Regular Contributor

I know that Super Smile is the TSV but I've just not had great results with that. Is there anything else you have used that's easy and gives good results with no sensitivity? 

Red wine, coffee, tea- it's all had a yellowing effect on my teeth. 

Trusted Contributor

Ask your dentist for a commercial product to buy or perhaps your dentist can recommend or perform a whitening procedure more for professional use. A couple of office visits to the dentist may enable the whitening. 

Honored Contributor

i used the crest white strips before my daughters wedding worked well

Valued Contributor

i used sentive toothpaste for it

Honored Contributor

My dentist told me that as we age enamel thins out and you just won't get teeth that white because of it and your teeth will be more sensitive to stronger products.  

Respected Contributor

@cmoose  I've tried many products and believe that the phillips sonic toothbrush (recent TSV) that I just purchased was a big help in whitening my teeth along with the whitening toothpaste that I was already using.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

I'm 70 years old and still have big white teeth.  They are soft with lots of fillings and crowns, however.  I've been able to keep them white by brushing diligently every day with a whitening toothpaste (I use Colgate Optic White in the red box).  For a super clean look and feel, I brush once a week with a charcoal toothpaste.  It's pretty messy (which is why I don't use it every day), but my mouth and teeth feel like I've just had a professional cleaning after using it.  Also, I drink black coffee every morning, but I always brush AFTER breakfast.  I also only drink water through the day, and brush lightly again before bed.

Laura loves cats!
Trusted Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I'm 70 years old and still have big white teeth.  They are soft with lots of fillings and crowns, however.  I've been able to keep them white by brushing diligently every day with a whitening toothpaste (I use Colgate Optic White in the red box).  For a super clean look and feel, I brush once a week with a charcoal toothpaste.  It's pretty messy (which is why I don't use it every day), but my mouth and teeth feel like I've just had a professional cleaning after using it.  Also, I drink black coffee every morning, but I always brush AFTER breakfast.  I also only drink water through the day, and brush lightly again before bed.

i was wondering if those charcoal toothpasts really work... i'm going to go on amazon and read the reviews... im a little scaed on how its going to taste... i may try it

Honored Contributor

Charcoal toothpastes are very abrasive and cause more problems in the long run. Charcoal works by abrasively removing surface stains and not deep-stains inside the dentin. 

I have very sensitive teeth so I use a desensitizing toothpaste. Using a desensitizing toothpaste may help prevent some sensitivity caused from some whitening products. However, in order for most whitening products to work most effectively, the whitening products should be used prior to brushing with desensitizing toothpastes. The reason is because the desensitizing toothpastes block (the dentin 'pores' or tubules) preventing the whitening agents to whiten the teeth.

I have had very good results using the IntelliWhite Platinum pens from HSN. I'm on autoship.

Honored Contributor

I tried through my dentist once after I got my braces off.  My front top teeth are actually crowns, but I knew we were going to have to replace them after I got the braces off, so the thought was to get the surrounding teeth to their best so the crowns would be matched to that.  He gave me a solution that goes in a tray you use for 2 weeks.  I didn't have to get the tray since I was wearing the plastic liners the orthodontist gives you until you can get the retainers made.  Couldn't tell a bit of difference.  

Someone told me several years ago that if your teeth have gray in them, whitening products won't work on them as well as with yellow teeth.  And that has been confirmed to me a couple of times by dentists.  So, I'm out of luck with the white teeth.  

I'm not allowed to use anything now, not even the sensitive whitening toothpaste because I have a tooth in the back that is extremely sensitive even when using sensitive toothpaste.  I tried that new Sensitive Rapid Response toothpaste and it was like an electrical shock going directly up the nerve.  No thanks.