Frequent Contributor

Is it risky to buy skincare/makeup at TJ Maxx?  They had some perricone and bare minerals and nars at the one near me.  Any experiences with them?

Trusted Contributor

@bunk  Just double check seal, and expiration dates. I've bought plenty.

I was going to pick up waterbabies sunscreen and that had a exp date (2019) so just check. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

I always check seals at TJ Maxx because a lot of people open products and stick their fingers in them. If you get a sealed product, check the expiration date and you should be fine.

Honored Contributor

i buy lots of stuff there

just check it before you leave as people poke their fingers in , but Perricone is usually sealed here

Honored Contributor

I notice they have more brands all the time.  I buy items there a lot.  I do make sure they are sealed.  People try the nail polish and get it all over the bottle and the display.  (no manners!)

Trusted Contributor

@bunk wrote:

Is it risky to buy skincare/makeup at TJ Maxx?  They had some perricone and bare minerals and nars at the one near me.  Any experiences with them?

No, it's not risky at all.

I definitely agree with the others, though.

I have bought some really great beauty products there, like soaps and powder and body spray, etc.

I have also picked up food items at great prices, too. Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I buy items all the time, but I check for signs of age. Lip products I've not had trouble with. Now saying that, my niece works for a high end cosmetic company but found some things she liked and purchased at TJ. She broke out in a terrible rash all over her face. So she now refuses to buy any products and told me not to. But I still do some things. Just not foundation in liquid form. for one thing.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other posters, check on the batch code of the items you are considering purchasing by either using checkfresh.com or checkcosmetic.net and if you can't determine the manufacture date, try using google to look up the item's reviews as that can give you an idea of how old an item is as the oldest reviews are likely when the item first came to the market. 

From batch coding my makeup and skincare items, I can say that generally items from T.J. Maxx and Winners in Canada are usually 1-2 years old by the time they show up in those stores. Sunscreens bought there are usually less than one year from their expiration date.