Trusted Contributor

Guess you can't always believe reviews: 

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/22/us/sunday-riley-fake-reviews-trnd/index.html

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

Re: Sunday Riley settlement for fake reviews

[ Edited ]

I read about that yesterday. What a disappointment. And they only got caught because they put it in writing and an employee blew the whistle. Makes me wonder how many other brands do the same thing.

I think the FTC should have fined them.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Sunday Riley fake reviews

What a stupid move. In life you need to take the bad with the good and apparantly Sunday Riley refused to do that. Such a shame since they have really great products that consumers genuinely love.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

You know it's really bad when the FTC has to get involved. There are better alternatives to every single one of their products. I wouldn't give a dime to such a shady company.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Old news and she got a slap on the wrist. She's been called out repeatedly about this and other sleazy tactics and her response has always been a smirk and "so what? this is how the game is played". Even though the FTC is mentioned, nothing is going to happen to her. Unless people STOP PURCHASING her products and hit her in the wallet; but they won't. Because not following the rules is the norm today and so, it's no big deal.

Think about this: she lied (and probably still lies) regarding her reviews of her own products; she lied about her products when she had cosmetics; she had her employees go after bloggers and people on forums who criticized her products/questioned her ethics...how on earth can you believe ANYTHING she states about her products now?! Behavior/actions speaks far louder than words.

Honored Contributor

Many cosmetic, skincare, clothing, etc. lines have fake reviews. You can spot similar wording in the first few reviews of a product. Compare a store's reviews to the site's reviews for similarities. Wording seem the same? Punctuation or phrasing? Sometimes I see a review from NC in the top 3. What??!?

This is pervasive across the board. When posting a review, some companies ask for the "Robot test". Certainly there's a  way around that as well.

Honored Contributor

Never heard of her or her products.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess  I had no clue who this was either.  

But look -- QVC sells, and continues to sell 32 of her products, including some new kits!  Not a surprise. 

Trusted Contributor

I am late to this story...so incredibly shady. I remember when Sunday Riley visited Shawn Killinger's beauty show...she was hailed as the woman with the hottest products in the cosmetics industry.
Besides her own unethical behavior, she compelled her employees to post completely false reviews and then attack others who wrote honest reviews. Her products may still be online at the Q, but I suspect she will not be invited back for on-air appearances.
Respected Contributor

Who?

What worries you masters you.