Esteemed Contributor

Sun Screen ~ Double Check your brand!!!!

Today, I read a story that said that various brands of sunscreen have higher than should be amounts of benzene in the product and it is raising concerns as benzene is a carcinogen.

Many of the ones that were studied were Neutrogena brand items. 

78 product batches had detectable levels of benzene — 26 of those contained high levels between 0.1 parts per million and 2 parts per million, while 14 contained significantly high benzene levels of over 2 parts per million.

It includes name brands like Neutrogena, CVS Health, Fruit of the Earth, Banana Boat, Raw Elements, EltaMD, and Top Care EveryDay.

See if yours is on the list for higher amounts of this cancer causing agent:

https://www.valisure.com/blog/valisure-news/valisure-detects-benzene-in-sunscreen/

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Re: Sun Screen ~ Double Check your brand!!!!

@gertrudecloset wrote:

Today, I read a story that said that various brands of sunscreen have higher than should be amounts of benzene in the product and it is raising concerns as benzene is a carcinogen.

Many of the ones that were studied were Neutrogena brand items. 

78 product batches had detectable levels of benzene — 26 of those contained high levels between 0.1 parts per million and 2 parts per million, while 14 contained significantly high benzene levels of over 2 parts per million.

It includes name brands like Neutrogena, CVS Health, Fruit of the Earth, Banana Boat, Raw Elements, EltaMD, and Top Care EveryDay.

See if yours is on the list for higher amounts of this cancer causing agent:

https://www.valisure.com/blog/valisure-news/valisure-detects-benzene-in-sunscreen/

@gertrudecloset @Thank you so much. I read the whole letter with data from Valisure. Very scary. If the sunscreens by themselves have benzene I bet that the face makeups with sunscreen have benzene too. Wish Valisure would test them. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gertrudecloset  Thank you for this, any benzene is bad news. The raw materials they're using to manufacture this stuff  needs to be free of any toxic chemicals. The H and B industry in the US polices itself.  We need oversight like Europe has.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  Boy, are you right about all the face makeup!

Honored Contributor

@decaf @Plus, it's near enough to the mouth, and some put it on the lips. We are SWALLOWING it.

Trusted Contributor

@Mindy D  And this is all cumulative, they preach WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN. I've been wearing sunscreen in Florida everyday for decades. 

Honored Contributor

@decaf wrote:

@Mindy D  And this is all cumulative, they preach WEAR YOUR SUNSCREEN. I've been wearing sunscreen in Florida everyday for decades. 

Look at the op and follow to the Valisure l  ink Gertrude included. You can see which brands had less benzene and which were highest.

Think about all the little toddlers and babies coated in this stuff. 

Trusted Contributor

Is there a place to find this information for free? When I click on the link it states you have to sign in as a member (which costs $) to find out which products are safe or not.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LuvmyLab  That I don't know. I got to the list, not too easily. Try to click on "Complete Valisure's FDA Citizen Petition"   That takes you to another site, you'll find it there on page 12.  HTH

Esteemed Contributor

Ladies:

News outlets are reporting this story.  I found the 19 page PDF by clicking through a link on the online magazine "Shape."  ConsumerLabs.  Just put the search criteria in your search engine and click through.  Take your time.  If one link doesn't work, click through another.

I can't post a PDF here and can't copy and paste from it.

Good luck to all ~ hope your brand is not affected!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life