Respected Contributor

Re: Sun Screen ~ Double Check your brand!!!!

@Porcelain Thanks so much for posting the list!  A simple copy & paste like you did makes it so much easier to find out the information.  

I am happy to see the SPF's I use are not on this list....seems like alot of "spray" types are.  

Esteemed Contributor

@tsavorite wrote:

@Porcelain Thanks so much for posting the list!  A simple copy & paste like you did makes it so much easier to find out the information.  

I am happy to see the SPF's I use are not on this list....seems like alot of "spray" types are.  

@tsavoriteThere are enough sprays and lotions of various brands that they were concerned with, however the majority were sprays.

Pure and Simple said she had the list too.  I didn't have the capacity to paste in here from a PDF document.  If you know how to do that, please share that with me for the future.  Thanks.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@PorcelainYou're wonderful for providing the list.  I wasn't sure how to get the info from the PDF on here.  I'm pleased to see that it is various brands and formulations that are from different companies.  Those who have an interest in this can see if their product is affected.  Most being sprays with a few lotions that are containing the benzene.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset @tsavorite @Porcelain @decaf @NYCLatinaMe @SilleeMee 

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/the-trouble-with-sunscreen-chemicals/

This is EWG... the article is informative and the search bar allows us to check specific brands/products.

'I am going to write something here that is a giant leap...could definitely be wrong but here goes:

I have been having an autoimmune condition called Lichen everywhere on my body. It is understood to be an immune dysfunction (T cells).

A book called "Lichen Sclerosis Beating the Disease" clued me in on the fact that the author, Ginny Chandoha got her symptoms under control by eliminating as many toxins in her home/use as she could. Her book is a fountain of information about her in depth study of nearly everything we use that touches her skin.

So I used the same foundation for 30 years. I used retin a also. Hence I faithfully applied sunscreen.

My lichen condition on my face looked like acne but it's not. The ingredient Titanium Dioxide, which is in EVERYTHING definitely causes my "spots".  

So now, for sunscreen, if I want to go outside or use my iPad, I decided to take the warnings seriously and look at new sunscreens.

Interestingly, the dermatologist thought I would be safest using a mineral sunscreen. That didn't work for me. Brown spots have started appearing on my face. Now I'm beginning to use two new products, found on Amazon. I was surprised because they weren't expensive. And they are "Ocean Safe" too.

I am trying to regain the skin I enjoyed when I was 50. So we will see. 

My makeup is VERY EXPENSIVE and I pay it because it protects me from most of the pollutants hovering around in the air. It sure is the dickens to wash out of pillowcases though.

EWG still considers Titanium dioxide GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe. But not in my world.... it just isn't.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@decaf

How right you are
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset @tsavorite @Porcelain @decaf @NYCLatinaMe @SilleeMee 

Well, thank heavens for Valisure!

It is comforting to know that an organization like this exists.

Esteemed Contributor

Neutrogena and Aveno products being recalled because of high levels of benzene!  We heard about the benzene here first in @gertrudecloset's post.

Thank you!

Recalled produts:  Neutrogena Beach Defense, Cool Dry Sport, Invisible Daily and Ultra Sheer — and the Aveeno Protect + Refresh sprays.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.49.02 AM.png

“Out of an abundance of caution"

Consumers who have questions or want to seek a refund can call 1-800-458-1673.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

Neutrogena and Aveno products being recalled because of high levels of benzene!  We heard about the benzene here first in @gertrudecloset's post.

Thank you!

Recalled produts:  Neutrogena Beach Defense, Cool Dry Sport, Invisible Daily and Ultra Sheer — and the Aveeno Protect + Refresh sprays.

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 12.49.02 AM.png

“Out of an abundance of caution"

Consumers who have questions or want to seek a refund can call 1-800-458-1673.

@NYCLatinaMe, this might warrant its own thread.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

I remember when Avon started selling sunscreen with avobenzone. I refuse to use that, or any of the other zones and oxi something "ates" or whatevers on my skin.  I avoid them as much as possible.  Even "helioplex" in Neutrogena.

If I cannot get titanium dioxide/zinc I won't use it.