Honored Contributor

Suggestions for makeup tutorials

I hope some here can suggest some places for makeup tutorials for me!  Since not working for over 2 years and then the pandemic, I have worn next to no makeup or very litte makeup, and now am floundering with application, etc.!

Although I was never a pro by any means, I used to think I had a few basics down pretty well, since I wore makeup every day of my life since turning 16!  Of course, once you get much older and your skin changes, you have to totally change your makeup routine --- and I find I just don't know how to do my makeup at all!  I want to be age appropriate and look my best, but not overdone!  

As some may recognize me from past posts, I have very sensitve and reactive skin, have rosacea issues, am very fair and will soon be 69 yrs. young (gasp!).  Can anyone here direct me to some good tutorials on line which do basic, easy makeup routines from A-Z for someone my age?  I don't want a complicated routine but for someone to show how to simply apply eye products --- shadow, pencil, unde eye concealers, etc.

Then, how to apply face makeup products and what type are best. Just basic, things!  

Before pandemic, I was going to go some place and get a makeover but now this seems to be difficult with not being able to try on products, etc.  

Thank you for any and all help! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Occasional Contributor

Re: Suggestions for makeup tutorials

I highly recommend Beauty By Anne-Marie on Youtube. 

She is 53 years old, never had any fillers or procedures done. Very honest, doesn't do sponsored videos, buys and tries every product she recommends.

I refuse to follow any blogger who has any procedures done and then tries to convince their viewers that some magic creme worked and made them beautiful as they claim.

Anne-Marie is like a breath of fresh air among thousands of beauty gurus. 

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I think if you put in a search on YouTube for "makeup tutorial for women over 60" or "GRWM (get ready with me) over 60" that might yield some results for you.

Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1    There are tons of good tutorials for older women on YouTube. Some of my favorites:  Sixty and Me; Rise does makeup; Nikol Johnson; Dominique Sachse and Angie at Hot and Flashy.

They give good tips and step by step makeup with both high end and "drugstore" price makeup.

Have fun! that's what makeup is for.

Honored Contributor

I also would recommend Angie at Hot and Flashy and Dominque Sachse.  Also Laura Geller has some videos on you tube - granted she's using  her products - but they are good to watch for ideas and how to apply makeup.

Respected Contributor

I also like Pretty Over 50, MrsMelissaB, and Emily Noel. Emily Noel is in her thirties, but she’s very knowledgeable and her videos are just easy to watch.
Valued Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 

Hi . I agree with the choices here. I also recommend Tricia Cudsen`s Look Fabulous Forever channel.  I recently purchased products from the makeup line . They are based in the UK. Great tutorials.  My favorite is the German hairdresser and makeup artist Karin Gade . She doesn't have many videos but the ones she has are simple ,fresh and she is so lovely.  I originally went there searching for short salt and pepper hair. I found her channel and enjoyed it so much .

Have a great day 😀

Honored Contributor

YES, I have an excellent suggestion.  I watch and enjoy her channel but she is by no means my favorite because I already have my makeup techniques down.  Nikol Johnson (Beauty and Skincare for Women Over 40) is a makeup artist for mature women.  Very classy, understated elegance type of makeup.  She does have her own line and showcases it but you can still gleam loads of great advice.  Her makeup line is not exclusive to what she teaches.  I think you will love her!

Honored Contributor

@Ena1 

Thank you for you suggestion.  I agree with you.  If they have all kinds of procedures and then don't admit it, that's not really fair to say it's makeup that's doing everything!

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse 

I will try again!  I was coming up with so much stuff and I thought if I asked here, I would get better suggestions.  Thanks!