Honored Contributor

First our mask mandate was lifted months ago regardless of whether you had been or planned on being vaccinated.  Still wearing same amount of makeup with or without a mask.  Thank goodness I see less and less of signs of covid everyday.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I cut back on many of my makeup steps, too. I don't curl lashes most of the time...just hold them back after mascara. Brows only get powder product in a few empty spots, but no brow gels. I've gotten used to lip pencil and gloss and not sure full on lipstick and may become a regular day look.... No bronzer only blush, also just concealer under eyes and in a few areas on face instead of my tinted moisturizer during the day. 

If we go out at night, I "polish up" a bit more, but nowhere as much makeup as I wore before. As usual, a full face of natural/neutral makeup when I do skincare/makeup on others. I'm sure it's expected and a more professional look.

Valued Contributor

@tototwo 

Happy Friday . 

Yes I have started to buy new things . Working from home since March 2020 I realized I didn't need or want a lot of makeup at soon to be 58. I use only cruelty free products and those that are organic/green have a shorter self life .  I threw out thing that were smelling off , also if I do purchase something that doesnt work either color wise , texture wise I send it back right away . I also had time to really look at my makeup stash and see what really worked and what didn't at what was unnecessary  . I have been following a UK blogger Tricia Cusden for a few years now . She created the makeup line Look Fabulous Forever in 2013 at the age of 65. It is made especially for older women . I decided to purchase a few products this week . They are based in the UK with free shipping over $50 and a 30 day return policy . She has a Youtube channel with wondeful videos and tutorials . I appreciate the fact that she uses older women with skin issues . I have seen a lot of makeup videos for women over 50 and some of these women don't even have pores . Have a wonderful weekend all !

Respected Contributor

@tototwo 

I just evaluate it day by day. I haven't had anything much go bad. A few Mac Lip Glosses, so they go in the Back To Mac pile. I have enough empties to trade in for several lipsticks.

I love to try new things, but everything breaks me out so that is frustrating.

Your tinted brow products should still be good.

What new products are you thinking of trying? Any specific foundations or mascara?

Honored Contributor

Don't ask me why but I went bananas buying makeup starting last May.  I've finally started slowing down (she says with 4 or 5 open orders Smiley Surprised )   I admire it and play with it more than I wear it.  Also, I don't throw makeup away because it's out of date.  As long as there is nothing growing on it, it doesn't smell bad and it applies like it should, I'll keep it if I'm still using it.  I haven't been indoors as much for covid as I have my knee.  I'm finally getting the ball rolling on that and  hope to be having surgery in the next 3 months if not earlier.  Our state has been open for business for months.  My knee has kept me home more than covid has.

Esteemed Contributor

I started a refresh in the last year while shopping some good sales at Ulta. Also picked up a new vanity organizer and new brushes.

Only thing I need is new foundations. That said, we're still on WFH so I'll pick up some L'Oreal to try at Target without going all Spendypants.

Honored Contributor

Re: Starting over

[ Edited ]

I never stopped, and I kept buying, but if I were starting over I would get new products that I knew worked for me before. I might get a little more adventurous with eye makeup 

I also am trying to stick to natural products. I would start with new foundation and blush, then get some old favorites, eye makeup, lip color

@tobe -  I couldn't have made it through all of this without my Lipsense. Twice a week I wore full makeup, more often if I had Zoom meetings. I was outside, and my mask was on and off. I knew this would stay on, and it did! It also didn't rub off on my mask!   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I did not wear makeup during the pandemic year.  When I started pulling out stuff to try again it smelled funny.  I use products that are all natural or paraben free etc...I am however am going to be very selective with what I buy and not accumulate a lot of useless stuff anymore.  I don't need 25 lipsticks.  I just need to find one that looks good on me and is an everyday one.  As for foundation that is a tough one.  I like Josie Maran Matchmaker but it went bad fairly fast and had to throw out.  What a waste of money.  

Respected Contributor

I have only been wearing eyeliner.  If I do not need to wear a mask I will probably start wearing CC cream again and maybe blush.  I say if I don't need to wear a mask b/c I work with speicial needs preschool students who do not have to wear masks and of course can't get vaccinated so I may have to continue to wear a mask at work for their protection. 

Esteemed Contributor

I want to try a new foundation or 2, but don't know where to start!  I stopped at a nearby CVS briefly yesterday and was overwhelmed by all the brands and shades.  Later, I did some online research on different brands, which further confused me.   That's what I get for using the same foundation for 25+ years!  

@just bee -- I found your favorite Maybelline "Full & Soft" and bought it.  They only had one left.  Also bought my old favorite L'oreal eyelash primer.   Don't want to go all Spendypants -- love that, @Snowpuppy!

I did notice that most of the makeup racks were empty.  Had there been a big rush to buy new makeup?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt