Esteemed Contributor

Now that the mask mandate has been lifted for people who are vaccinated, will you have to go out and buy all new makeup?   I know some of you continued to wear makeup thru the pandemic and mask-wearing, but some of us did not.   All my old makeup is passed its expiration.  I tossed most of it and will have to start over.   

Will you try new products?   or stick with your old favorites?   Will you buy one item at a time, or go 'whole hog' and purchase everything at once?   I wonder if my 2 unopened tubes of tinted primer are still good? 

I think I'll buy a new foundation first thing.... then, mascara and eyelash primer.  Where would you start?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@tototwo 

Yes, I have heard that!  I'm not sure I will totally quit with the mask but I will work on it!

I must have felt it coming because in the last few weeks I have been getting the urge to buy and do some things to beautify (ha-ha) myself and get some new products.  I am sticking with some basics and trying a few new things.  I posted about wanting new eye shadow products and also the eye brow thing.  I recently got my hair trimmed --- the first time in over a year!  That felt so good!  I have purchased a couple different cleansers for my face and got a couple different body lotions.  Just basic things with no fragrance.  It's fun to see what new or different things are in the stores!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Frequent Contributor

My lipsticks have gotten old, namely LipSense, which I love.  All other make-up is okay since I still wore it from the upper cheeks to the forehead while wearing a mask.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 - Love that you say "do some things to beautify (ha-ha) myself" !   That's kind of what I'm thinking too.  It's time to "re-decorate."

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I don't plan to start over because I already discarded plenty of old lipsticks when I downsized to one residence in December.  

Other than lipstick, I pretty much ignore expiration dates.  I don't use any eye makeup except brow products and I never stopped using those so they aren't all that old; same with blushes.

I do watch dates on my skincare, but if anything I have used more of that during the pandemic, not less so there is nothing outdated in that category

Trusted Contributor

I never wore much makeup to begin with but continued to wear it when I went out through this whole thing.  I will also keep my mask with me and will still wear mine depending on the circumstances and my comfort level and yes I have had both vaccines.

Honored Contributor

Re: Starting over

[ Edited ]

@tototwo wrote:

Now that the mask mandate has been lifted for people who are vaccinated, will you have to go out and buy all new makeup?   I know some of you continued to wear makeup thru the pandemic and mask-wearing, but some of us did not.   All my old makeup is passed it's expiration.  I tossed most of it and will have to start over.   

Will you try new products?   or stick with your old favorites?   Will you buy one item at a time, or go 'whole hog' and purchase everything at once?   I wonder if my 2 unopened tubes of tinted primer are still good? 

I think I'll buy a new foundation first thing.... then, mascara and eyelash primer.  Where would you start?

@tototwo   The rule of thumb is unopened skincare can last at least a year, once opened 6-8 months. Unopened make that's liquid or cream, also should be good for a year. Lipsticks can be judged by smell and texture. Powder shadows stay for years while cream shadows can spoil faster. Mascars and anything near the eyes...changed out every 3 months (mascara) and pencils sharpened are fine, liquid liners are iffy. Skincare, especially those likeacids can no longer be strong as when purchased. 

For me, I've replaced all opened liquid cosmetics. My skincare has stayed in rotation and unopened backups are fine. My BIG expense was replacing ALL opened skincare I use on clients...4-5 brands/lines, any opened liquid makeups, lipstick, glosses, etc.  

***Love your "tag" so true. This last year tested many of us. 

Honored Contributor

Most of my makeup is mineral powder so that is still good. I won't be returning to applying as much makeup as I once did. My skin is better without it and so is my wallet.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't been wearing a mask all that often for several months. Only if required by the store. If no sign on the door requiring them I did not wear one. I didn't really wear all that much anyway and I'm sure it will be the same now. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been a big make up person.  Mostly I only used Bare Minerals or Josie Maran powder and a bit of mascara.  Since I retired I hardly use it at all anymore and of course the pandemic stopped all of it.  I do like a bit of mascara at times but I find the older I get the more sensitive my eyes are, even when using mascara for sensitive eyes!