New Contributor
I know this will sound grouchy but here goes.
I would really appreciate a realistic portrayal of makeup items minus the lighting that I’ve seen a model or two put on. I don’t walk around with special lighting and it’s hard to tell if the makeup cracks or creases.
Respected Contributor

Special lighting on TV will never go away. Flattering lighting on talk shows and the news has been around forever. When Diane Sawyer married Mike Nichols he came into her studio at ABC and completely redid her lighting.

BTW all makup sett les in lines.

Honored Contributor

@Itguyswifewrote:
I would really appreciate a realistic portrayal of makeup items minus the lighting that I’ve seen a model or two put on. I don’t walk around with special lighting and it’s hard to tell if the makeup cracks or creases.

@Itguyswife

Models are wearing lights? Don't think I've seen that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I understand what you're saying but I agree with what other poster said ... it will not go away. They need to use whatever makes the host/model in the best light to benefit their sales.

Honored Contributor

@Itguyswife

I used to use a tag line (in home building/remodeling and decor forums) that said "lighting is everything". And it is. It can make or break an area/room. Inside and out it's important to have the right lighting, flattering lighting. It creates ambiance, and the right task lighting in the kitchen is key.

Overhead lighting is not flattering. Side lighting IS flattering. Ever heard of the "Golden Hour"? So there is always going to be perfect lighting on tv. Lighting and filters to make things look so much more flattering than they really are.

Honored Contributor

@Itguyswifewrote:

@ItguyswifeLighting is inevitable, but the unrealistic, not flattering, in your face, closeups are not necessary.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphantwrote:

Special lighting on TV will never go away. Flattering lighting on talk shows and the news has been around forever. When Diane Sawyer married Mike Nichols he came into her studio at ABC and completely redid her lighting.

BTW all makup sett les in lines.

@ellaphantSorry to disagree. If skin is properly prepped and not too heavy a foundation is used, it does not settle into lines. The trick is to apply it only where needed and begin with a very light layer and then only build up where needed.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@Itguyswifewrote:

@Itguyswife

Models are wearing lights? Don't think I've seen that.

@Kachina624They have ring lights, side lighting, overhead lights and sometimes filters. What really bugs me is application when they already are wearing a full face.

Honored Contributor

@monicakmwrote:

@Itguyswife

I used to use a tag line (in home building/remodeling and decor forums) that said "lighting is everything". And it is. It can make or break an area/room. Inside and out it's important to have the right lighting, flattering lighting. It creates ambiance, and the right task lighting in the kitchen is key.

Overhead lighting is not flattering. Side lighting IS flattering. Ever heard of the "Golden Hour"? So there is always going to be perfect lighting on tv. Lighting and filters to make things look so much more flattering than they really are.

@monicakmYTubers spend a lot of money on perfect lighting, too.

Trusted Contributor
@Shanus
Yes, that's what I've been doing with the new Neutrogena tinted moisturizer I bought at Thanksgiving.
I use a light layer all over then apply the Neutrogena foundation from my cheekbones to my jaw. If I think I need a little more coverage on my nose , I'll dot a tiny bit and use a sponge. That helps. I want so much to use a powder to set but I'm afraid of settling and caking.