New Contributor

Hi! I have been a lurker for years on this board. Now I would like to ask a question. I wanted to know what you recommend for a skin care routine. Right now I am using Philosophy Micro-delivery and Purity, and I moisturize with Aveeno Positively Radiant. I am 31 and have oily skin. I am a new mom and don't have a ton of time to devote to myself, but would like to start taking better care of myself, so I can show my daughter how to take care of herself. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Skin Care Routine Question

Your cleansers sound good. Have you ever tried argan oil? I have been using it now for almost 3 years & I used to have terribly oily skin. The argan oil balances my skin & I am no longer oily. I also have very sensitive skin and cannot tolerate most anti aging products. The argan oil is anti aging & I've never had any problems with irritation. I use Josie Maran's argan oil. Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor

Welcome! Whatever you use, use an SPF during the day. That will help prevent more problems then you can imagine.

Super Contributor

Welcome !! I agree with MarthainMD, definitely use an SPF -- I use Josie Maron's moisturizer with an SPF in it.
Respected Contributor

Welcome! My recommendation is to keep your routine SIMPLE with as few products as possible. Do not go crazy with all of the anti-aging stuff.

When I really want to go simple I use 100% pure jojoba oil for both my cleanser and moisturizer. Yes, it worked wonders when my skin was oily.

Super Contributor

I used that same Aveeno moisturizer until my early-mid 30's too, great light moisturizer! I also used to have oily skin, but now I use Tarte's maracuja oil over retinol at night and my skin has balanced out. So use your Aveeno during the day and try an oil at night.

For what it's worth, I used Purity for about a year and found it dried my skin out and actually made it more oily. I still have a little bottle I take when I travel and just used it the other day... same result... that day I had very dry but oily skin. I think it strips the skin too much so your skin overcompensates and sends more oil to the surface. You might want to try another gentle cleanser? Lately I've been using Serious Skincare glycolic cleanser at night to remove makeup, I leave it on like a mask while I brush my teeth etc. I really love the Skinn PM cleanser too but you need to use a lot and they need a bigger bottle!. In the AM I use Skinn's AM cleanser which has Tea Tree oil in it, that one lasts a long time you only need a little.

My friend who is a cosmetologist, and same age as me, said the 2 most important things are glycolic acid and retinol, and I agree. I'd start a retinol treatment now BEFORE you start seeing fine lines. Once they start they don't go away!

HTH.

Super Contributor

I've had a T-zone/oily complexion. I love the feel of Clinique's moisturizer gel. It absorbs well and has no fragrance.

Good luck with your new search! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Suggest you go to a Clinique counter and have someone give you a complete set of recommendations. Their products are reasonably priced, consistent quality, and make a great basic regimen, to which you can add things when you need them, e.g. eye serum, SPF. I find this line cleaner and more effective than Philosophy, and my skin is in better shape than most women my age. I've started to use some products from other lines now, but at your age, Clinique is a really easy, good choice.

Occasional Contributor

I apply a combination of rose and jasmine oil along with almond oils every night before going to bed. This helps me get a great clean skin. Oils penetrating into the skin and helps the skin to rejuvenate.

Occasional Contributor

Oh how I wished I had started a good skincare regimen at your age! You're routine sounds great! I also use the Microdelivery exfoliating wash in the morning and Purity at night. I'm not familiar with your moisturizer, but stick with it if it's working for your oily skin, otherwise there any many choices available from Philosophy if you want to stay within the brand. I'm enjoying the new day & night cream combinations.

I would add a retinol treatment ASAP. Philosophy's Help Me is a great starter retinol, and Alpha Hydrox makes a product called Retinol ResQ that is essentially the same formula for 1/2 the price. If you are concerned with wrinkles and premature again under you eyes you may want to use a targeted retinol treatment there too. I use Philosophy's Miracle Worker Eye Cream with HPR.

You may want to consider adding weekly peel, such as the Microdelivery Vitamin C peel to remove the dead skin cells and allow your treatments to really absorb. And When Hope Is Not Enough serum. It adds moisture, peptides, vitamin C, glutathione and some other goodies for you skin needs.