Esteemed Contributor

Hi amabo,

I use 613 as a first cleanse on a weekly basis.

When I first started using it and before I had a set Wen regimen, I used as a first and second cleanse and as a leave-in for every wash. After 3 or 4 washes, my hair was almost brittle (sign of protein overload).

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I mix a few pumps of 613 with my seasonal. LOVE the results. I use one pump of styling cream after...all is well!

Contributor
613 just makes my hair limp and no body.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your your responses. Still not sure though if Amino Acids are

"suppose" to act the same as proteins or not, so I won't use it on a regular

basis.

Thanks again

Frequent Contributor

I think that you just have to work it in slow to see how your hair reacts to it. Been a Wen girl since 12/2010. For my waist length chemical free (no color, no relaxer not anything) tightly curly (3b) hair, I only use 613 1x per 4-6 weeks b/c I do consider it as a very hydrating protein treatment and I always follow it with a protein free deep conditioner.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I'm working it in slowly. I've been using Wen for 2 yrs, mostly

Lavender and decided to try 613 recently too. I do really like

my hair when I use it but I've had breakage recently and I don't

want to make it worse.

Occasional Contributor

I think you have to test 613 a few times and see how your hair reacts.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those people that can't use 613 at all. 613 makes my hair as dry as straw - it actually looks damaged after I use it. I have extremely thick coarse hair - fig is the best formula for me.

My husband, who has fine straight hair can use 613 daily and it causes no damage to his hair.

Bottom line: I think you have to try it for yourself and see how your hair reacts.

Honored Contributor

I cannot use it as it DOES make my hair dry and brittle. Not everyone's hair needs the extra amino acids plus it DOES contain two forms of protein (from quinoa and soy) so for those whose hair does not need the extra protein, it can definitely cause dryness and brittleness. It is NOT moisturizing at all for my hair. I know the seasonals all contain some extra amino acids and I can use the SMC so I believe the addition of some of the more moisturizing properties of the SMC helps alleviate the dryness/damage that it could otherwise cause. Mixing the SMC with the fig seems to work really well for me.

I really don't think they can make such a blanket statement, if that is truly what she stated. Chaz often states many of his CCs are universal and you can't go wrong but I just don't feel that is true as we all are dealing with different hair types, our water quality is all different and also the way we treat our hair (e.g. use heated tools or use various styling products). All those variables play a part in how our hair responds to shampoos/conditioners/cleansing conditioners so it is just a matter of trial and error to see which ones TRULY work for your particular hair and concerns.

Occasional Contributor

HappyDaze,

She was pretty adamant about it being moisturizing not drying.

I didn't bring up the people who said the opposite, I probably

should have.

Contributor
I really didn't understand the whole protein issue which likely means I don't have a protein issue. I looked it up, it's a balance thing: protein to moisture. Hair needs protein to attract moisture, but too much of any one thing can be bad. When the protein/moisture is out of balance, hair can break. Too much protein or too much moisture will cause hair to break. So 613 can be moisturizing and have protein, but if one's hair is sensitive to protein, it can create an unbalance and there would be breakage. We have different body chemistries and our hair has different protein/moisture balances. You need to determine what your hair needs. I would also expect needs to change over time.