Respected Contributor

Shampoo recommendations for silver/white hair?

I'm a fan of both Nick Chavez and Wen. Love the Mesquite line Nick has. Would love to hear recommendations of a supplemental shampoo (once a week? now and then?) for silver/white hair to counterbalance any yellowing (often from the water!).

So many purple shampoos on the drug store shelves. What works for you? How often do you use it?

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 9.00.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 9.01.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 9.01.44 AM.png

Occasional Contributor

Re: Shampoo recommendations for silver/white hair?

I use Clairol Shimmer Lights Shampoo and Conditioner... does a great job...

Frequent Contributor

Fanola No Yellow shampoo is, hands down, the best purple pigment shampoo there is.  My hairdresser recommended it for getting the brass out of my highlights and it truly does work.  

It's available on Amazon, $14.49 for an (almost) 12 oz. bottle.  

https://www.amazon.com/Fanola-No-Yellow-Shampoo-350/dp/B00RWCDM4A/ref=sr_1_sc_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=150...

Honored Contributor

I wash my hair every day with a "blue" shampoo.  I use whatever I can find.  It's difficult to find these shampoos where I live.  Sometimes I have to go to a beauty supply store.

RIght  now I am using Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus and Pantene Silver Expressions and have several bottles of each  in my cabinet.  I buy it when I can find it,

Because my hair is super oily and I have to wash it everyday, I go through a lot of shampoo,

My hair is silver with a little black mixed... salt and pepper with very light Silver at my temples.  I have  had no trouble with my hair soaking up the blue color and looking unnatural.

Respected Contributor

I use AG Hair Care's Sterling Silver once a week. I bought it at Ulta. 

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I use AG Hair Care's Sterling Silver once a week. I bought it at Ulta. 

@itsmagic: Is it this one?

2290217.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@1Professor,   I use Shikai for my silvery gray hair.  This shampoo removes any yellow casting and leaves hair silky clean.  I purchase at iherb.com

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@1Professor,   I use Shikai for my silvery gray hair.  This shampoo removes any yellow casting and leaves hair silky clean.  I purchase at iherb.com

@Katcat1: Have never used Shikai and just found that they make all sorts of shampoos. Is it the platinum one:

SHI-31353-3.jpg

Respected Contributor

@1Professor  Yes. That is the one.   From what I understand it can also be used to get the brassiness out of hair that has been dyed blond.  It is a purple colored shampoo. 

Honored Contributor

@1Professor,  Yes, that is the one.  Reasonably priced and gentle on your hair.  

kindness is strength