Trusted Contributor

Serum foundation - is brush worth the extra $?

I like the serum foundation a lot after sampling it in person. I'm a little in between the Bare Buff and Bare Natural but since it is pretty sheer both blend with my skin alright. I can either buy the foundation alone at Ulta for $29 and no shipping fees, or buy the foundation with the brush at QVC for 49 (44 plus 5 shipping). I'm not sure that I need this brush to apply the foundation, and don't like the thought of spending $20 for a brush I may not need. I have another flat-top brush without the concave center that I think I could use instead...is the brush just "amazing" and worth the extra $20? Thanks for the opinions!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Serum foundation - is brush worth the extra $?

I purchased the serum foundation alone at a BE store. I generally like applying liquid foundation with my fingers, but also have a drawer full of brushes. I found that applying the BE foundation with fingers does not work too well. I've been using a flat headed brush that came from tarte and it works well.

I'm on the fence about the foundation. It seems to cake up after a while. If you're interested in trying something else similar - the Bourjois 123 perfect CC cream is pretty amazing. It's made in France, but you can find it on line. Not expensive either.

Regular Contributor

I LOVE this foundation! I read a lot of negative reviews about it here on the boards so I wasn't even going to try it. But I started playing with it on a recent Ulta trip and I was amazed at how great it made my skin look. Plus there are tons of shades to choose from. I didn't buy the brush I just applied with my fingers. I agree with the other poster - not the best way to apply. Now I just shake it up very well, apply 4 drops to the back of my hand, and use my Beauty Blender sponge to apply. It works great!
Honored Contributor

I'm a long time BE user and I've learned that the brush they recommend with the foundation is usually the best option. I like to buy it from QVC because it's a good deal with the brush when they have a launch.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Regular Contributor

Sad to say, but yeah. I would pick one or the other shade and get it from le Q with the brush, then get your foundation refill locally so you can switch up the color seasonally.

Respected Contributor

I bought it from Qvc with the brush and found I had other brushes I like better. I prefer to dot it on my face and then use a brush to spread it. So that made the brush that came with it useless to me. I sent it back and will purchase just the foundation from Ulta. Not all that crazy about the foundation.

Contributor

Love this serum foundation. Seriously, the best foundation I've found for my mid-fifties skin. Makes my skin look flawless and dewey. The brush does make a big difference. I tried it with my fingers a couple of days ago and it did not go on as nicely or look as good.
Super Contributor

I tried the foundation and purchased the accompanying brush. I found the foundation ordinary and it seemed to stick in my pores. I have very small pores, so it surprised me. The brush was less than exceptional. The same thing that brush did any foundation brush would have accomplished. I found it gimmicky.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks everyone. Well, I think I'm going to do the Ulta standalone and try it out with one of my many brushes. If I love it, I will repurchase on Q with the brush. Problem for me was that the Buff was slightly better for m summer coloring, but the natural will be better in the fall/winter. Q does not carry Buff with the brush. But if I buy Natural now, I fear I will look a little washed out and not want to use it. I wore a face if this all day after trying at Ulta and I had no problems with the way it wore on me, so I feel ready to purchase.
Frequent Contributor

I bought this foundation from QVC originally with the brush and LOVE it. When I went into an Ulta to be shade matched for a lighter color (no Faux Tan for a week), the girl did not use the brush and I did not like the foundation anywhere near as much. I currently use one drop of Bare Natural and one drop of Bare Linen for each side of my face in the well of the brush, and the brush blends it on perfectly. It just depends how much tan (Faux or otherwise) I have as to which shade I am using.