Respected Contributor

Re: Scalp Scrubs - Was doing some reading

@Katcat1 wrote:

Sounds like I need to toss out my scalp scrub.  Not all "new" products are good for you.

@Katcat1   I am with you!! I know products have come a long ways and a lot of chemicals have been removed but I can't help but think of all the people i know that complain about thinning hair or hair loss, in my personal life and on blogs / boards, I can't help but reseach and try to figure out what are we doing diff. than what was being done 30-40+ years ago.  I used to use Aqua Net by the truck load and never had an issue with my hair or hair loss LOL  Of course, age does make a diff. but, I think keeping it back to basics is a good rule of thumb.

Respected Contributor

So should I toss my Tweak'd scalp scrub?

Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

So should I toss my Tweak'd scalp scrub?

If its working for you then don't toss but, I just don't think scrubs are for everyone and they are somewhat new in popularity, I think we are all the testers LOL

Respected Contributor

@ninjawife @tends2dogs Thank you both! 

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl   I used Aqua Net too.  However, for most part we only washed our hair once a week because we were teasing and spraying.  I only wash my hair twice a week now and the itching has stopped (dry scalp).  In fact, I recently read an article that states it is not good to wash hair daily.  I would say some new products are good and break thrus and others not so good for us.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I have to then I'd rather use a clarifying shampoo, not a scrub. A vinegar rinse helps get stuff out of hair, too, and it's relatively gentle.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't use any scrubs, gels, mousse or hairsprays. My hair, really, is normal, but a lot, and I color roots.

If I were to use anything on my scalp, it would be a few drops of essential oil: rosemary for root stimulation (which I've used after a bad hair cut) or tea tree, if I had any other problem. On my tresses, sometimes I lightly coat my hands with a carrier oil (argan is good for this!) and put on my ends.

No product scrub, however, I've been doing a light fascia massage, and I swear that is making my hair grow faster than ever! I have hardly any breakage.

I also work to have a good diet and get out to walk every day.

Back in my Mom's day, she washed her (and our) hair with Camay soap. Bathed with Ivory, but Camay was for hair!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If I have to then I'd rather use a clarifying shampoo, not a scrub. A vinegar rinse helps get stuff out of hair, too, and it's relatively gentle.

@SilleeMee 

I learned about vinegar rinses years ago and use one maybe once a week now. I learned about it on a long hair forum when I was looking for a remedy for my suddenly itchy scalp with no flaking. This happens to me sometimes with the change of seasons. I used it every day for a while and haven’t had the problem since. I keep a bottle of vinegar/water in the shower.

I’ve never been tempted to try a scalp scrub.

Honored Contributor

Someone I know uses and loves the Briogeo scrub.  She said it feels amazing.  She was trying to talk me into using it but I took a hard pass.  For some reason I envisioned me scrubbing the color right out of my hair.  LOL  

Valued Contributor

I use Lush's "Big" shampoo, which has big salt crystals that dissolve as you massage your head to lather. Has solved the itch without dandruff problem. It kind of acts like a gentle scrub.