Respected Contributor

My hairdresser thought I was dead

I've been seeing the same hairdresser for twenty six years. Followed him to new location. 

I had an appointment on a Tuesday. At 3.am on Friday I got very, very sick. Called 911 and got an ambulance to hospital. Was admitted. Gave my phone to nurse's station to be charged. No one could find it; I got it back Wed. Was too sick to care about anything that wasn't essential.

When I got home ten days later I emailed him. ''I thought you were dead." He said he was going to call the obit column.

I've had a lot of ups and downs but I rarely missed an appt  and always called to cancel. Sometimes I showed up really not feeling great.

I realized how important my hair was. I know every  woman thinks that but I suspect there's a family gene involved. My mother had the most gorgeous silver hair. She did hair shows and got free appointments in turn. When she had to enter assisted living after a stroke she asked the important questions and then asked if there was a beauty parlor there (there was). My niece has an enormous head of hair with a life of it's own.

When I told my niece I was budgeting and was going to stop coloring my hair (it's a couple ugly colors) she sent me a generous check. She tried to get a gift card but my salon doesn't do them. She didn't trust me so I sent her a copy of the bill.

I am very careful about Covid but the salon owner has taken so many precautions it's actually safer than my doctor's office. She has a lot of doctor's and professor's as clients.

I went on a Tuesday a.m. It was just the two of us. He did some extras free that the owner now charges for and I think it's the best color and cut I've ever had. 

Respected Contributor

Re: My hairdresser thought I was dead

@lavendar 

Goodness, I am so happy you are better and have recovered!

I go to my hairdresser every six weeks ever since they were allowed to reopen.  Like you, I feel very safe there.  My hairdresser has a son that has a serious medical condition and she takes every precaution there is.  She has a small shop, and she is the only person there.  Only one or two clients are allowed in at a time.  And we all wear our masks.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@lavendar   So happy you're feeling better. That must have been so scary for you. This is the main reason I stopped coloring my hair...I was "tied" to that salon chair every 3 weeks!! My life revolved around the dreaded roots. Just could not live that way anymore.  

Honored Contributor

So glad you're ok.  Please take care!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Glad you have recovered. Yes, the salons are very safe & they sanitize after each customer. We are all masked up. I hold my masks in place with one hand by the bridge of my nose when I get a haircut.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@lavendar    Did you get diagnosed as to what made you so ill so suddenly? Glad to hear you are home and feeling better!

Respected Contributor

Fifty six years ago I had surgery for Crohn's disease. Adhesions on the adhesions formed causing a small bowel obstruction. The gift that keeps on giving. Crohn's is in remission thanks to Entyvio.

I was very lucky; a treatment worked and I didn't have to have surgery.

Respected Contributor

Shanus, if I were all grey, a decent color grey I'd stop coloring. I was a "dirty blonde" and that has gone to a mud color and my grey is a awful steel grey color. I didn't need to cover roots until I was sixty.

I stretch it out to six weeks or more using Rachel?Hazan powder. 

I meant incision in previous post.

Honored Contributor

@lavendar 

Glad you are feeling better.

Glad you still have your wonderful stylist.  My stylist of 27 years retired 3 years ago.  SOBBING 😭. He is the only one who ever made my hair behave, and did undetectable comb-through hi & low lites every 6 months.  Miss him.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Super Contributor

I bet mine might too.  I've been going to the same salon since 1994.  First guy moved to Florida in 2002. Next woman moved to Oregon in 2016.  Don't know if current gal is still there since my last appointment was in Dec. of 2019!

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".