Respected Contributor

I have colored my hair at home but I made an appointment to have it done at the Salon just to see what it looks like to have the grays colored professionally.Do you shampoo your hair before you get a salon color? I know with the home color kits you don't have to shampoo before you color it. Thanks

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Salon Hair Color Question

No.  I've had my hair colored for years and the stylist always said not to shampoo before my appointment. 

Respected Contributor

Yes.  I wash my hair twice and then condition the ends.  I’ve always done this.  Some hairdressers will say you don’t need to, but I want to get the gunk out of my hair.  I don’t put any products in my hair.  I just blow dry it and go to my appointment the next day. 

Honored Contributor

I do not shampoo my hair on the day I go for color.  I have heard the color "takes" better on not-washed hair, but who knows if that's true or not.  But there is no need to wash your hair the day you get color.

Respected Contributor

My hairstylist told me not to wash my hair before I come in.  Good luck and I hope your hair looks fabulous. 

Respected Contributor

Nope, I do not wash before I go in for a color, and I have been coloring for 30 years or more!!  I DO, however, wash my hair every day!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

My stylist always washes my hair first thing, then I’m put under the dryer for about 10-15 minutes for it to dry then she puts color on. Maybe it depends on the type of color your getting. She uses Redkin products so maybe they are different. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much! I will wash the  night before. My appointement is not until the end of August.Thank!

Respected Contributor

If you have a lot of product on your hair, then I would wash it.  If you don’t want haircoloring to continue to overprocessed the rest of your hair except for your roots, then I apply a overnight conditioner on my ends. Also don’t wash your hair for at least a day or two after.

Respected Contributor

No I do not wash my hair before I get salon color.  I do not use product in my hair.  If you do use products in your hair, wash it a day or 2 before your appointment.

I've also heard the same thing that the color takes better when the hair is in a more natural state w/the natural oils and such.  And also after your color, I've heard do not wash it for a couple days in order for the color to take. 

Not sure how true all this is, but I do know that even though my color is 'permanent' it lightens up the more I shampoo.  Also some color is notorious for washing away quickly such as red tones.  My colorist recently used some ash tones, and I noticed w/my first shampoo the area really lightened up a lot and almost looked like the gray was coming thru. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing