Respected Contributor

Re: SPF moisturizer recommendations please

I love Josie Maran's spf also...I have super sensitive skin & hers is the first one I could ever use..Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

Elta MD sunscreens are terrific. I use Elta MD SPF 41 - a slightly tinted mineral (zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) broad-based sunscreen. Elta MD's sunscreens/moisturizers also come in clear if you're looking for that. My dermatologist initially recommended Elta MD 41 to me because she uses it herself (and no, she sells no products in her practice, so she had no ulterior motive in recommending it). 

UVPhysical520x320.jpg

I recently started using this sunscreen and I agree that it's great.  I have combo skin with a very oily t zone.  This product goes on evenly and works well under primers and foundations.  Other sunscreens would cause my primer to pill up which is not what I'm going for!

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch. In the face sunscreen there are some bad ingredients. Especially this one. Methoxycinnamate. Mercola published a list of the bad ingredients once and this one stuck in  my mind because it sounded like cinnamon. Ha! Far from it. And yeah, he of course sells sunscreen but I don't think he has one for the face. I like the one from Bare Minerals called Prep Step. It's just so shiny. I want matte!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

Thanks, @JeanLouiseFinch. In the face sunscreen there are some bad ingredients. Especially this one. Methoxycinnamate. Mercola published a list of the bad ingredients once and this one stuck in  my mind because it sounded like cinnamon. Ha! Far from it. And yeah, he of course sells sunscreen but I don't think he has one for the face. I like the one from Bare Minerals called Prep Step. It's just so shiny. I want matte!

@Judaline  The ingredient you're referring to is actually Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate (also known as Octinoxate).  As for Mercola, sometimes he's good, but there are also times he says things are bad when they haven't always been proven as such, like parabens for instance.  And yeah, there is the motiviation to sell his own products too.  IMO, it takes more research, comparing and weighing of information than to just take one person's opinion.  Others in the industry say it's a fine ingredient.  Even Paula B., who some of the members here love, gives the ingredient her "best" rating.  The FDA has approved the ingredient and considers it safe up to 7.5%.  The SKINN product contains only 2.0%.  In the end, people have to go with their own gut and use what they're comfortable with.   

Respected Contributor

My favorite to date has been Dr. Denese's Day Cream in the tube.  I am very oily and this does the best job so far of not feeling heavy/greasy nor does it increase my oiliness or break me out. I did just try for the first time today Philosophy's new Renewed Hope Skin Tint which is SPF 20.  I have to say, I am really liking it.  Very lightweight feeling and did not make me oily. Color was good too.  I am fair to light and their lightest color option is perfect.  Again, it's only day 1, but usually I know right away with my oily skin.  Now, to see if it breaks me out, that's the other factor.......😉

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal,     I purchased No. 7 from Target.  It's called Beautiful Skin Day Cream and it's hypoallergenic and for Normal to Dry skin SPF 15.  I really like it and will purchase again.  It's just the right consistency, not runny or too thick.  Does not cause Milia.  I had a problem with a moisturizer that I loved cause Milia so I had to say goodbye to that (a few years ago).  No. 7 is also very reasonable.  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Regular Contributor

Hydropeptide! Tinted and great coverage! Simple with antioxidants
Regular Contributor

Respected Contributor

Giving my two cents worth for Skinn Daily Defense. I haven't found one that I like better currently. It is goes smoothly and blends well. I have no problems with my makeup going on overtop. Also no white residue. Just wished that he would supersize this product.