Frequent Contributor
Has the process for getting your roots touched up changed? Everytime I've had my roots done (twice), my stylist has put the color over my entire head and left it for at least 40 minutes. The first time, she gave me hot roots and the last time, she left it on almost an hour while she was on the phone (wasn't happy about that). Years ago, the stylist covered the roots for the full time and then combed it down for 5 or 10 minutes to freshen the rest. Is she over processing me or has hair color improved that much?
Honored Contributor

I had to ask for what I wanted. I was told that they preferred to do all over color because the ends get build up on them and it does something to the color on the ends (or something). They also insist on gloss at Red Door for every client.

I have short hair, I get more than an inch chopped off every 6 weeks. There is no build up and my hair is shiney from using WEN. So I nicely told her that I want the roots done and the ends pulled through for the last 5 minutes and no gloss. And that's what we do now.

It gives my hair a nice highlighted look, without highlights.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor
That has not been my experience and I've been getting root touchups for about 25 years or more. They put it on my roots and that is it UNLESS it's been many months and it needs an overall boost. Then she puts it on the roots for 20-25 minutes and pulls it thru the rest of my hair for about 5 minutes.
Super Contributor

Yikes. Whether in the salon or doing it myself, the process has always been bleach on roots, leave on for 20, comb through and leave for five.

Now with Root Touch-up products, ten minutes on roots is all I need. I do the whole head twice a year. Hair is in great condition! Wish I had done this in college!

Super Contributor

I agree with Kate, I do my own every 3 wks and occasionally draw the color thru to the ends. No problems like at some salons. Yes, ask for what you want.

Good luck!

Frequent Contributor
Thanks for the feedback. Part of it could be my fault. I did tell her "I just want the roots touched up", but I didn't explain further. Since she did the whole head again, I thought I must be out of date with how it's done now. I haven't had full color in many years, so I thought there may have been some advancements. I may have to try touching up the roots myself to save time and money. My natural color is a light to medium ash brown that has been colored to auburn. The ash is really noticeable when the roots come out.