Valued Contributor

Would anyone with personal experience care to share their thoughts on using Rogaine/minoxidil for hair thinning?

Thanks Ladies!

Respected Contributor

I've been using the generic from CVS for about 1-1/2 years on a spot at the hairline in front that had really thinned out.  I use the men's formula, and apply it only at bedtime.

it took awhile, but after about 5-6 month my stylist said she was seeing a lot of "baby hairs" in that spot.  

That spot that started out really sparse is back now by about 25%.  The generic minoxidil isn't expensive....i wait for a 40% coupon from CVS.  

I don't know how it works if you want to use it all over your scalp....I only treat that one spot on my own head.

Good luck...if you decide to use it, I hope you get great results!

Honored Contributor

Re: Rogaine users?

[ Edited ]

My neighbor has been using generic Rogaine, Minoxidil,  all over the top of her head and down the back about halfway for about 1 1/2 years.  About 50% has returned, but she started soon after she noticed hair loss.  You can't wait too long or it won't return.  

She gets it at Walmart for about $18, 3 month supply.  5% for $16.88 at Sam's Club for a 6 month supply, a great price.  

Her biopsy showed male pattern baldness, called female pattern baldness on women.  It doesn't work for anything else. 

She uses 5% two times weekly.  2% the other days.  The men's, 5%, can cause hair growth on the face.  She read the 2% doesn't work as well as the 5%, the reason for using the 5% twice weekly.  

She said she began seeing hair growth at around 2 months in small areas of her scalp.  Hair didn't come in uniformly at the same time.  At 4 months, it was noticeable all over.

She noticed the new hair is very dry and sometimes wiry.  She is using something for dry hair, but I can't remember the brand.  She doesn't complain because she's thankful Minoxidil works.  

It must be used everyday; although, she said she forgets once in awhile and hasn't seen any loss.  

FYI.  She tried one of the laser caps faithfully as directed.  It did grow hair very well, but at five months she began losing it again.  She has no idea why.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Swedishmiss  .. I used Women's Rogaine for almost a year.  It didn't do anything.  A total waste of money.

Frequent Contributor

A few years ago, I tried Keranique from HSN - the active ingredient is Minoxidil.  I had a lot of initial shedding which freaked me out. I don't think that happens with everyone but it does happen for some people.  They advise you to continue to use it thru the shedding phase but I stopped. 

Frequent Contributor

I've been using Rogaine or the store brand for years - had familial balding in the front (bang area).  My derm suggested men's rogaine and it brought back the hair.  That was about 5 years ago and after it grew in I downed it to 3x a week.  I prefer the liquid over the foam (which can get too sticky)

Honored Contributor

@Swedishmiss 

My neighbor continued to lose her hair for about two months after she started Minoxidil, then it stopped.  It was at this time she saw new growth in small areas of her scalp.  She said seeing this hair loss was a bit worrisome, but she continued to apply the solution.  

@Foxxee wrote:

My neighbor has been using generic Rogaine, Minoxidil, all over the top of her head and down the back about halfway for about 1 1/2 years.  About 50% has returned, but she started soon after she noticed hair loss.  You can't wait too long or it won't return.  

She gets it at Walmart for about $18, 3 month supply.  

Her biopsy showed male pattern baldness, called female pattern baldness on women.  It doesn't work for anything else. 

She uses 5% two times weekly.  2% the other days.  The men's, 5%, can cause hair growth on the face.  She read the 2% doesn't work as well as the 5%, the reason for using the 5% twice weekly.  

She said she began seeing hair growth at around 2 months in small areas of her scalp.  Hair didn't come in uniformly at the same time.  At 4 months, it was noticeable all over.

She noticed the new hair is very dry and sometimes wiry.  She is using something for dry hair, but I can't remember the brand.  She doesn't complain because she's thankful Minoxidil works.  

It must be used everyday; although, she said she forgets once in awhile and hasn't seen any loss.  

FYI.  She tried one of the laser caps faithfully as directed.  It did grow hair very well, but at five months she began losing it again.  She has no idea why.  

Super Contributor

I started using minoxicil 5% in January 2020. I buy it at Costco for $16.99 for a 6 moth supply of the liquid drops. The foam is significantly more expensive.

I am 77 years old and my hair went completely white over the years. I originally had very dark brunette coarse wavy hair. About 2-3 years ago I notices my pink scalp at my crown and then later started thinning in the front bang area.  My hair became quite fine and wispy especially on top.

I noticed after about 2 months that I was getting new hair growth in the bang area and at about 4 months I noticed significant hair growth in the crown area. What was really surprising to me was about 10% of the new growth was dark brunette hair. Now instead of stark whate hair I have a more greyish color. It gives my hair some depth it didn't have before. My pick scalp is no longer noticeable at the crown and my bang area has filled in nicely. I have also noticed that my hair is losing its wispiness and behaving more like my old hair. 

I did notice that early on I lost a lot of hair . My hairbrush looked like a dog groomers brush. Because of the pandemic I have not been back to the hair salon. I've been the bathroom barber. My hair seems coarser and it is curlier than it has been for the last few years. I apply it only to the crown of my head per the directions. I have not had any facial hair growth although my hairline at my forehead has filled in nicely.

I hope this answers your questions.