Trusted Contributor

Re: Review of the Artis Brushes

Thank you BlingQueen for responding as you did to the presumptuous reprimand.  I am always afraid of offending some  forum clique member and never being able to post unchallenged again. You expressed my opinion of the unsolicited discourse,  precisely !

I don't go cheap on Purses, Shoes or Cosmetics and never will. I found long ago when I couldn't afford what I really wanted,  that the money spent scrimping would have been better spent saving for something of quality.  The same tenant holds for these fabulous brushes.

I don't know about you, but I have drawers full of cheap brushes, among other things, I've either received in a multi-item kit or purchased believing it would work. ( like that huge fan brush from IT Cosmetics)  I know I won't have to replace the Artis brushes. I know, from using them, that I won't go about with a streaky face all the while thinking I've done a good job putting on my face that morning. No one except a real friend will ever point out the sloppy paint job those cheap brushes do and you'll walk around all day giving the gossips something to talk about. 

Quality is the operative. 

Esteemed Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Thank you BlingQueen for responding as you did to the presumptuous reprimand.  I am always afraid of offending some  forum clique member and never being able to post unchallenged again. You expressed my opinion of the unsolicited discourse,  precisely !

I don't go cheap on Purses, Shoes or Cosmetics and never will. I found long ago when I couldn't afford what I really wanted,  that the money spent scrimping would have been better spent saving for something of quality.  The same tenant holds for these fabulous brushes.

I don't know about you, but I have drawers full of cheap brushes, among other things, I've either received in a multi-item kit or purchased believing it would work. ( like that huge fan brush from IT Cosmetics)  I know I won't have to replace the Artis brushes. I know, from using them, that I won't go about with a streaky face all the while thinking I've done a good job putting on my face that morning. No one except a real friend will ever point out the sloppy paint job those cheap brushes do and you'll walk around all day giving the gossips something to talk about. 

Quality is the operative. 

CoG did you take a sneak peak inside my house at my makeup stash, lol lol lol. I must have every ITCosmetic brush known to man.  Don't even sneak a peek at the Dooney room I have in my house, lol.  I'm on a handbag hiatus right now.  I know when I retire I'm going to have to forget what channels the shopping is on.  So why not live it up now.  Enjoy the weekend coming up and make it a safe one. 

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CoG wrote:

Dear Mar5775 and All:  The NM Artis Oval 8 does have a chrome handle with black texturized material making up the central 2/3 - 3/4 of the handle length.  The brush came in the most beautiful black velvet box with magnetic snap closure.  I've seen purses with lesser quality flap closures.  

The Oval 8 is designed, according to the packaging, for application of foundation or setting powder, to the entire face, for application and blending of bronzer or highlighting powders to entire areas of the face. IMHO this is THE one for foundation.  The QVC Oval 6 is perfect for blush, bronzer.  If someone cannot afford both, the Oval 6 will more than suffice for foundation applicaction, with a swipe over the cleansing cloth betweed foundation and blush/contouring. 

My next purchase might be the round eye shadow bush if the learning curve for the Oval 3 is too steep.  I really don't anticipate any problems since once in hand , use of the others is instinctual. 

Oh do get the two you want!  Amazon is sold out now but a week ago they offered Artis brushes singly and in kits ranging from 3 to ?a dozen? ( a whole bunch) from $48 to $330 and more . That YouTube demonstrator must be well to do !  When I did the math, QVC's set of three was by far the most economical choice.  NM still has them at full price but they offer fast ,free shipping and no hassle return policy as incentives remember?  While not extravagant, this is an investment .  I know that should something go wrong, my investment is insured .

Anything you apply to your face goes on effortlessly, flawlessly.  You really do use far less product. Your face will thank you for treating it with such respect !

I've decided against buying these brushes, but just an FYI: The NM site states: "Returned merchandise should be unworn, unwashed, include the vendor packaging and tags and be in the same condition as when it was received. Used merchandise cannot be returned unless defective."

@suzyQ3...they have always taken things back with no questions aksed...I have never had a prob and rarely use my NM card anyway. I will see how it goes and if no like or not as described back it goes as Blingqueen says.

BTW, found a neat 'lil brush on eBay. IT Cosmetic's had a demo on the Q and it came with their cream/sponge foundation compact. I recently bought it as my new quest are foundation brushes -before the Artis suprise! lol. I have a few now I like to alternate them...this brush is called Complexion Perfection Buki..it's really a great size/feel and applies fdn so well. I enjoy using it will my liquid foundation. It really should be sold alone. Why Jamie doesn't sell a good item like this solo yet keeps others on her site that don't work well (for me) seems odd, maybe it will be sold alone one day...just an FYI on a less $ good foundation brush Smiley Wink

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Honored Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CoG wrote:

Dear Mar5775 and All:  The NM Artis Oval 8 does have a chrome handle with black texturized material making up the central 2/3 - 3/4 of the handle length.  The brush came in the most beautiful black velvet box with magnetic snap closure.  I've seen purses with lesser quality flap closures.  

The Oval 8 is designed, according to the packaging, for application of foundation or setting powder, to the entire face, for application and blending of bronzer or highlighting powders to entire areas of the face. IMHO this is THE one for foundation.  The QVC Oval 6 is perfect for blush, bronzer.  If someone cannot afford both, the Oval 6 will more than suffice for foundation applicaction, with a swipe over the cleansing cloth betweed foundation and blush/contouring. 

My next purchase might be the round eye shadow bush if the learning curve for the Oval 3 is too steep.  I really don't anticipate any problems since once in hand , use of the others is instinctual. 

Oh do get the two you want!  Amazon is sold out now but a week ago they offered Artis brushes singly and in kits ranging from 3 to ?a dozen? ( a whole bunch) from $48 to $330 and more . That YouTube demonstrator must be well to do !  When I did the math, QVC's set of three was by far the most economical choice.  NM still has them at full price but they offer fast ,free shipping and no hassle return policy as incentives remember?  While not extravagant, this is an investment .  I know that should something go wrong, my investment is insured .

Anything you apply to your face goes on effortlessly, flawlessly.  You really do use far less product. Your face will thank you for treating it with such respect !

I've decided against buying these brushes, but just an FYI: The NM site states: "Returned merchandise should be unworn, unwashed, include the vendor packaging and tags and be in the same condition as when it was received. Used merchandise cannot be returned unless defective."

@suzyQ3...they have always taken things back with no questions aksed...I have never had a prob and rarely use my NM card anyway. I will see how it goes and if no like or not as described back it goes as Blingqueen says.

BTW, found a neat 'lil brush on eBay. IT Cosmetic's had a demo on the Q and it came with their cream/sponge foundation compact. I recently bought it as my new quest are foundation brushes -before the Artis suprise! lol. I have a few now I like to alternate them...this brush is called Complexion Perfection Buki..it's really a great size/feel and applies fdn so well. I enjoy using it will my liquid foundation. It really should be sold alone. Why Jamie doesn't sell a good item like this solo yet keeps others on her site that don't work well (for me) seems odd, maybe it will be sold alone one day...just an FYI on a less $ good foundation brush Smiley Wink

Thanks, Mar. I still would be concerned about returning a used set of cosmetic brushes, based on their policy that I quoted. I don't think the particular credit used would be a factor, but I don't know that for a fact.

I did my own research and decided to stick with the synthetic brushes that I have and love from Sedona Lace. I think they are the best of the synthetics and reasonably priced.

My concerns are that these are still too new for me to get an adequate read on whether they are the brush of the future or a hyped flash in the pan. I did watch the demo and thought that there was definitely some sleight of hand when comparing brushes.

I also watched Wayne Goss's review in which he used two of the ovals and one linear  of the same type brush made by Mac. They look identical to the Artis. The review was decidedly mixed.

So that's why for now I'm not investing, besides the fact that I have zero complaints and only good things to say about my current brushes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Valued Contributor

I saw Goss' review too, but it really seemed to me that he did not give the brushes a fair shake, and I noticed he held the skin taut doing crease work for the "standard" brush but did not for the mac one.

I think this new style will definately have a learning curve.  my artis set is supposed to arrive today;  I have my doubts about how well they'll work for detail work, but we'll see.  anyway, the older i get the less inclined i am to do any complicated eyeshadow look that involves gobs of colors and detailed crease work.  at least i have a month to play with them before deciding.  

Valued Contributor

@BlingQueen022   does the IT complexion perfection buki have a pointed tip?  i bought the IT buki box set when IT had their VIP sale, and there was a pointed tip buki in the set that had that name.  I've really only used the ball powder buki (which is heavenly) and the flat top buki (which is also great too) in that set, so maybe I'll pull the "complexion perfection" one out and give it a whirl.

in case you can't tell, i have a brush problem.....Smiley LOL

Contributor

I soooo jumped on the wagon and placed my order...you guys help me spend it....

How fun...

As a guesture of good will - I will offer some of my other brushes to my SO for the garage to use....I have more than Sherwin Williams!

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Fluke67 wrote:

I saw Goss' review too, but it really seemed to me that he did not give the brushes a fair shake, and I noticed he held the skin taut doing crease work for the "standard" brush but did not for the mac one.

I think this new style will definately have a learning curve.  my artis set is supposed to arrive today;  I have my doubts about how well they'll work for detail work, but we'll see.  anyway, the older i get the less inclined i am to do any complicated eyeshadow look that involves gobs of colors and detailed crease work.  at least i have a month to play with them before deciding.  

Yes,  a couple posters there mentioned that. One, however, said that Goss was using the Artis brush as it's supposed to be used and used a regular brush they way he is used to doing.

And he did say that one of the three Artis brushes he used (the linear one) was okay for lining under the eyes (not so great on the upper line, though). Too bad for those like me who haven't lined under the eye in eons. Smiley Wink

I don't use gobs of color, but I do like to put a slightly different shade in my crease and at the outer corners of my eye for definition.

Any way, who knows? As I said, I thought the comparison of brushes on the QVC demo for the Artis brushes involved a little bit of subtle trickery in terms of applying pressure.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Occasional Contributor

I appreciate this review of the Artis brushes.  I would like to mention the Shany brushes.  I am a retired makeup artist and have always loved and appreciated good brushes, maybe even a bit of a brush 'snob'.  I bought this Shany set on Amazon on a whim because they had a $10 off coupon.  I ended up with a large set for something like $29.  I am so happy with them and the foundation brush is one of my favorites in the set.  I never expected such nice brushes at that price.  Just thought it might be a line others would enjoy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Chloes mommie wrote:

I appreciate this review of the Artis brushes.  I would like to mention the Shany brushes.  I am a retired makeup artist and have always loved and appreciated good brushes, maybe even a bit of a brush 'snob'.  I bought this Shany set on Amazon on a whim because they had a $10 off coupon.  I ended up with a large set for something like $29.  I am so happy with them and the foundation brush is one of my favorites in the set.  I never expected such nice brushes at that price.  Just thought it might be a line others would enjoy.

Hi Chloes Mommie:  Thank you for your post.  I just went on Amazon to read the reviews on these brushes, and all were faborable.  They look nice and thick the brushes also.  I just ordered a 7 piece set of these beautiful brushes for only 12.00.  Talk about cheap.   I'm looking forward to trying these.  For 12.00 it's like getting them for free.  The reviews I've read and what you said here convinced me to try them.  Thank you so much for letting us all know about these wonderful brushes.