Honored Contributor

Re: Reduce, Reuse And Recycle Your Clutter

Use your Altoids tins for beauty-

Honored Contributor

I'll cut up old cotton T-shirts into squares and use them to clean my spectacles. Then I toss them in the washer.

I'll use my holey cotton socks for cleaning dog barf out of the carpet, then toss them into the trash. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I really like those squarish plastic containers with the red lids at Costco. They sell their nuts and snacks in these and they make perfect storage containers for rice, lentils, split peas -- whatever!

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

oddly some things we think no one would want.....I was giving a donation to a church....the lady comes to my place...I had two bags of candy and I off handedly asked if they would like it....and she said yes....the seniors love candy....

I was glad that I asked as I would have thrown them in the garbage....(they were fresh candy just not what I would have eaten...)

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 circles said:

oddly some things we think no one would want.....I was giving a donation to a church....the lady comes to my place...I had two bags of candy and I off handedly asked if they would like it....and she said yes....the seniors love candy....

I was glad that I asked as I would have thrown them in the garbage....(they were fresh candy just not what I would have eaten...)

I always overbuy Halloween candy -- and I buy the full-size chocolate bars at Costco and Sam's. Too often I'd have to toss them after they'd sit in the pantry, past expiration. Now I bring all my Halloween chocolate to work. Ever see nurses when they're around chocolate? Two words: National Geographic.

Valued Contributor

I don't know why I didn't think of this, but having gone through chemotherapy, reading material is always welcome to pass the time during sessions.

Honored Contributor

Let me say something though: IF worrying about what to do with something is such a burden to you that you hang onto it thinking it might be useful for someone, it is no sin to pitch it out if that is the best you can do.

Do NOT let yourself live with clutter! Do what you can, but if you can't manage it, THROW IT OUT and don't worry about it!

Regular Contributor

As a FACS teacher, let me just say that donations are always welcome. Things FACS teachers can almost always use include old dish cloths and dish towels, cooking utensils you no longer need (spatulas, wooden spoons, etc), leftover fabrics and spools of thread, the list is endless! For all other decluttering, I keep a bag in the corner of our front room and put things in it as I come across them, clothing, shoes, bags, ANYTHING! This way I always have a bag of donations ready when charities call.
Contributor

This is such a great thread!! Thanks to all for the suggestions. My niece is in elementary school and has a class pet who needs shredded paper for bedding. This is a great way to reuse paper as my local recycling facility doesn't accept shredded paper at this time.
Frequent Contributor

Don't forget our VETERANS. I belong to DAR. We collect "comfort items" for area veterans. Toiletries, etc. Save the little samples of things in hotel/motels when traveling. New or lightly used winter coats, gloves, socks, knit hats, etc. Contact a Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) chapter in you area. Or take the items to a VA hospital, VA outpatient clinic or contact a veteran's service officer. Don't forget we have female vets, too! ??