Respected Contributor

Is Retinol something that is important and necessary to add to our skin care?   If so, are some brands better than other brands? 

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear

Just recently there was another thread about retinol. It had quite a bit of good info in it and if you care to read it I've put the link here for you.Woman Happy

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Beauty/retinol-retinoid-type-product-names-you-use-that-actually-work/m...

eta - Yes, a retinoid is important to use. It has the ability to inhibit a skin enzyme called collagenase. This enzyme destroys collagen and it becomes more abundant as you age leading to lines and wrinkles. So when you start using a retinoid then you can prolong your youthful appearance over time. 

Respected Contributor

I have been using the Peter Thomas Roth retinol daily,

it has helped fade age spots, and truly, people are amazed at my age.

When I went for rotator cuff surgery nurses( plural) asked me re my skin care. I am 67. Many think I’m 10 + years younger.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee  Oh thank you!! I didnt think to look around before I posted.  I will go look.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@IMWThat is amazing!!  Sounds like a fantastic product. Thank you! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It is a proven product to help skin, but not all people can tolerate it. 

I started using OTC retinol several years ago. I never saw any difference in my skin so my dermatologist prescribed prescription strength Retin A which is more potent. I started with the lowest concentration and gradually increased the strength. I thought it was helping, but now I am not so sure.

Due to expense I stopped using it about 6 months ago, and my skin has not gotten worse from not using it. Even my dermatologist said he didn’t think I really needed it. My skin seems to respond better to BHA which I still use. 

Btw I am in my mid 50s with very oily acne prone skin and very few wrinkles. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No product is good for everyone. I can't tolerate any form of retinol and so do quite well without it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

It is definitely a very good product, nothing works miracles except surgery. Even then sometimes the results are not the best.

The retinol is very gentle and lasts a really long time.

It is best to keep it in a dark place and simply put some in your hands and spread it. After I saw the benefit to my face I started using it on my declotte and hands. It has greatly reduced spots on my hands.