Honored Contributor

@monicakm   I you apply a pea sized amount of Retin A and make sure to rub it in until absorbed, I find it does its work over night. I wash/rinse my face in the morning anywya, but there are usually no products left that haven't completely absorbed. 

I would discontinue any other actives until your skin adapts. Its a marathon not asprint. You may not see results for 6months or a year.

There are many YT videos about how to begin a Retin A routine. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@SilleeMee 

OK, I'll do it.  Can you suggest a good dose to start with?  I don't have a dermatologist and don't want one.  I can get my family Dr to write a prescription.  I've been using Naturium Retinol for several months, along with Glycolic Acid 10% 

@monicakm 

Start with .025% tretinoin. This Hot and Flashy vid has some good tips on how to start using tret:

Hot and Flashy How To Start Using Retin A 

INCIDecoder dot com has a good section about tret and how to use it. Look for "Ingredients" at the top of the page, click DECODE IT,  type tretinoin in the box and click ANALYZE to give you the info. It's very helpful.

Respected Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Texasmouse 

Thank you!  What is the lowest strength?

@monicakm as @SilleeMee suggested, you should start with the .025% strength AND watch Angie's (Hot & Flashy) video on how to start. 

If you get any irritation, don't give up, just back off on how often you're using it until your skin gets used to it and try again. 

Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Re: RETINALDEHYDE

[ Edited ]

Hi @monicakm ,

I have sensitive skin and an Allergist that I was seeing had prescribed Differin 0.1% for me. It's also a retinoid.

He had told me that I should be able to tolerate it with my skin, and he was right.

I alternate using it, as I also use a rosacea cream.

Differin was initially developed for teenage acne. He had told me that it was considered milder to use.

It then became over-the-counter and is made in a gel form in the same strength, and I just saw it in a generic version too in one of the store-brand equivalents, but I can't remember what store we were at, though.

Edited to add that no matter what retinoid or retinol you're using, remember to use a sunscreen on your face when using that type of a product, as your skin will be more sensitive to the sun. Smiley Happy