Honored Contributor

Questions about expiration dates

Earlier today, @Shanus me to pay attention to dates on the skincare I use.  I do, but I have questions about who determines what date goes onto the packaging.  Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

Re: Questions about expiration dates

[ Edited ]

The manufacturers have to follow guidelines set by the cosmetic standards which are determined by the FDA. It's sort of like food expiration dates. Those both have guidelines to go by. It's not willy nilly. The FDA doesn't say how long a product can be good for. The FDA requires manufacturers to provide safe products to the public.

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-labeling/shelf-life-and-expiration-dating-cosmetics

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   TY   Just read through the whole report, and I will continue to use expiration dates for cosmetics almost the same way I use those for food and drugs.   I do use products that have never been unsealed or stored in dangerous ways after the manufacturers' dates if they look and smell the way they should. 

Maybe I am too cynical, but it's not a huge stretch to imagine manufacturers giving us dates that work to their advantage whether we're talking skincare or a chunk of cheese!

Honored Contributor

I don't go by dates...I go by the smell test first, back of hand test second.

All good?  I use it up.  I just hate to waste things I have paid good money for.

Knock on my wooden head, never a problem!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@RespectLife @Some types of cosmetics are more prone to problems. Mascara in a tube is one that I'm careful with. Anything in a tube that a person sticks their fingers into is another. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D 

I know some ppl stick to the 3 month rule on mascara.

I don't.  I use it til it isn't giving me the performance I want any longer.

I typically have 4-5 diff brands open at the same time, so no way am I ditching them at a specific date.

Oh, good point about fingers!  I have a ton of those little spatulas to use for tub products.  I wear my nails long, and I hate getting product under them!

I really prefer squirt tubes over vat/jars & tubs.

Occasional Contributor

Yesterday, 10/8/2021, I recieved my IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Foundation Complexion AD A374274 that I paid $57.85.  I opened the box; I always write the month and year on the cosmetic container so that I use them up before they expire.  The foundation had an expiration date of "09/2021".    I did not see an expiration date on the powder.

I called Customer Service and explained that one of the two cosmetics they just sent me showed it had already expired.  The Rep asked if I wanted to pay half price, if I wanted to keep the powder.  I told her NO.  I would return the box and they could send me cosmetics that weren't expired.  The Rep told that they no longer carry that item.  I said, "What, I just ordered it?"

The Rep told me she would refund my shipment.  I told her that I was sending back the box so that Quality Control could see that expired cosmetics are being sent out.

The Rep told me that she already refunded my item.  She seemed put out that I wanted Quality Control to be aware of expired products.

QVC:  Quality, Value, Convenience.  What happened to Quality?

Honored Contributor

Call me crazy but I don't go by dates.  I've never had a mascara go bad.  I just throw them out when they dry out, no matter how old.  Sadly I had a brand new Kim Gravel mascara that was dried out recently.  It was part of a TILI so I let it go and used the other stuff.  These people that change mascaras once a month must be about broke by now.  Roughly figuring, one could spend $3,000.00 for mascara over 10 years.   

Respected Contributor

I don't freak out about expirations but it is inexcusable for a company like QVC to be sending out old/expired stock.  I wrote in another thread that I got a TILI box with a WEN in it that was manufactured in Jan. 2018.  It may be okay to use, but I don't know.  That is too old in my opinion.  I don't know about the other items because I didn't see an expiration date on it.  

I think if they are going to sell old stock they should sell it at a reduced price and advertise the fact that it is old stock.  I've also had this problem with over the counter medication at my local pharmacy so I try to check now.