Honored Contributor

Re: Questions Of How To Use Sunscreen

[ Edited ]

They tell you all the time you have to keep reapplying these sunscreens every hour or so. If you have on MU do they think your going to wash off all your MU to reapply sunscreen every hour ? I mean - at the beach or pool where you aren't wearing MU and your in the intense sun is different , especially with sun reflecting off the water- but as I go thru my day - that first application of sunscreen is also the last application of sunscreen. I do , however, wear a big floppy hat when I'm swimming, to shade my face, but the sun also reflects off the water up on your face. The first summer we were in Florida I got sunburn under my chin and learned the lesson of reflected sun.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Super Contributor

@151949 wrote:

The first summer we were in Florida I got sunburn under my chin and learned the lesson of reflected sun.

I got a sunburn one time while wearing a bucket hat. The sunburn was only on my chin. Had a party to go to that night and I swear every time I caught a reflection of myself, all I saw was a bright red chin *sigh*

Esteemed Contributor

@RipleyGirl wrote:

@151949 wrote:

The first summer we were in Florida I got sunburn under my chin and learned the lesson of reflected sun.

I got a sunburn one time while wearing a bucket hat. The sunburn was only on my chin. Had a party to go to that night and I swear every time I caught a reflection of myself, all I saw was a bright red chin *sigh*

One of the most painful sunburns I've ever had was on the backs of my legs.  I had on a hat and lots of sunscreen on face, arms and fronts of my legs.  But I was sitting for hours on a shiny metal grandstand watching a ball game (wearing shorts) and the reflected sunlight cooked the backs of my very white legs. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I could use some help! After I shower I like to use body butter or lotion, but I also want to use sunscreen now that it is summer (I know I should use it year round). My question is do I put the body lotion on first or sunscreen? Also if I want to use sunscreen on my face, primer, and foundation (my foundation has sunscreen but I feel it's not nearly enough protection), do I use the sunscreen first and then the primer? Lastly can you use the  sunscreen you use on your  body on your face too, or do you think you should get a sunscreen that is mad specifically for your face? Thanks!

Eucerin and other body lotions have SPF, but I'd use a separate one for my face, neck and chest that won't clog pores. I use Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 40 or higher. After cleansing, serum, moisturizer, then apply sunscreen. I consider it a step in skincare. Wait a few minutes for all to soak in before beginning primer, etc. 

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

One of the most painful sunburns I've ever had was on the backs of my legs.  I had on a hat and lots of sunscreen on face, arms and fronts of my legs.  But I was sitting for hours on a shiny metal grandstand watching a ball game (wearing shorts) and the reflected sunlight cooked the backs of my very white legs. 

I had a similar sunburn on the backs of my legs from standing out with my back to the sun at an event for hours in a skort & I couldn't bend my legs to sit normally in a chair for several days.  The muscles in my calves were hard as rocks (can you sunburn muscles?) & a a little swollen, too.  It was awful. 

Respected Contributor

@151949, I agree that once my SPF and my makeup are on my face, that's how it stays for the day. I never have understood how to reapply SPF throughout the day once makeup is on. If I am on vacation at a pool or the beach, I don't wear makeup and do reapply my SPF on my face. Someone needs to invent a good spray for the face that can be applied over makeup. Super Goop has one but it is awful. It's way too greasy. Not a fan of powder SPFs because I have dry skin and don't need to add to the dryness.