Valued Contributor

Re: Question for Retin-A users.........

[ Edited ]

HappyDaze and others speak the truth!

When I started using Renova (tretinoin/retin-A in a cream base) about 16 + years ago, my derm handed me the clincial trial data that had been collected for over 10 years, internationally. The result of the double blind clinical trials was very clear, as stated by HappyDaze.  The lowest dose is considered the best for anti-aging benefits.  (Acne issues are a whole other study/dosing.) 

The clinical trials concluded that people who used the lowest dose every night year-round gained the most benefit. Those who used higher doses ended up stopping their regular usage because of irritation -- even those who didn't experience irritation until years after starting.  The lowest dose folks, however, never experienced those negative effects after their initial starting phase.  In addition, the studies examined skin cells closely over that 10 years and concluded that the lowest dose, again, won out for all the anti-aging markers.  For my skin, nightly tretinoin/retin-A at .025% has been THE one and only true game changer. Would never be without it.

Honored Contributor

I didn't know Retin-A is still around! Smiley Surprised

Retin-A was a gift from the Gods to my daughter.  Back in the early 90's when my daughter was 1 week away from going on her Junior Prom, she got a giant pimple on the tip of her nose.  She was horrified to say the least.

I took her to my doctor who happened to be a female.  She prescribed Retin-A & wrote down instructions for use.

In 48hrs, the pimple was completely gone!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Interesting info here. My derm prescribed the full strength for me for scar prevention after surgical procedure and I've just stuck with it. I have plenty to last me for the next year and a half, but I wonder now if I should decrease when it's time to renew?
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:
Interesting info here. My derm prescribed the full strength for me for scar prevention after surgical procedure and I've just stuck with it. I have plenty to last me for the next year and a half, but I wonder now if I should decrease when it's time to renew?

Definitely worth asking your derm. Mine was/is very clear about never bumping up the dosage for all the reasons stated. She handed me the printed abstracts from the clinical trials, which included the specific data they collected and the conclusions of the physicians, so I'm sure it's readily available online with a simple google search.

Honored Contributor

Under derms. directions I have used .25 for years with excellent results.  I will ask her when I see her in February about changing doses, but I would be reluctant to mess with the success I've had.

Thank you all for the information.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Really good info about the lowest dose. I'm wondering if only using once a week is the best way to start for at least a month.

I also wonder if a moisturizer without any actives should be used over . Last night when I used the retin-a   I didnt use anything over it.

Honored Contributor

@Nadine wrote:

Really good info about the lowest dose. I'm wondering if only using once a week is the best way to start for at least a month.

I also wonder if a moisturizer without any actives should be used over . Last night when I used the retin-a   I didnt use anything over it.

No...do not use anything with actives over Retin A.   Argan oil or a moisturizer with no actives like Clinique DDML is ok to use.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nadine wrote:

Nadine, when my derm started me on it, she had me start by using it once every three nights for two or three weeks, I believe.  If I had no irritation, i could then use it every two nights for a couple of weeks and so on, until I was using it every night.  She told me that if I had any irritation, I should back off and go back one step. She also told me that putting a simple, gentle (no actives) moisturizer on after was fine if my skin felt very dry or otherwise irritated, which mine never did. So, I don't put on anything at night except for my tretinoin prescription. But it's a personal thing. You'll know if your skin needs a moisturizer on top or not.

ETA: My derm told me that she finds that her patients who are using it for anti-aging benefits have much greater long-term success with tretinoin in a cream base, because it causes much less irritation than "plain" retin-A, which she says she prescribes primarily for acne patients.  For those of us with drier skin and without acne issues, that "plain" retin-A can be very harsh on the skin says my derm.

Valued Contributor

I may start with a little more often then once a week. I have some ddml so I'll use it over if I need to.

Thanks for the replies!

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I didn't know Retin-A is still around! Smiley Surprised

Retin-A was a gift from the Gods to my daughter.  Back in the early 90's when my daughter was 1 week away from going on her Junior Prom, she got a giant pimple on the tip of her nose.  She was horrified to say the least.

I took her to my doctor who happened to be a female.  She prescribed Retin-A & wrote down instructions for use.

In 48hrs, the pimple was completely gone!!!

She was very fortunate as Retin A usually doesn't work that quickly--especially for spot treatment.  It often takes one to two months of regular use to show efficacy.  It's not often used for spot treatment either.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"